• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

williamn

Thanks for the translation. As I’m in a classic room I’m not really sure what applies… I want a whisky pre bed in the club car, that’s all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I had a good look at the Highlander being serviced in Inverness this morning.
12 Mk 5s, so obviously a 73/9 can provide sufficient ETH (index 70 according to the data plate) for load 12. Which surprised me a bit, as load 16 has an ETH index >100 (hence requires a 92), and when I was at school 12/16=0.75, so if load 16 has ETH index >100, load 12 has ETH index >75. Though the formation only had 1 club car.
All the sleeper mark 5s are apparently rated at ETH index 11 (55kW), so load 8 (the standard on the Inverness) is index 88 and a full train is index 176. A Class 92 on AC is rated at 900kW (index 180), I believe. Don't forget that the ETH index is the maximum power draw and is only likely to be reached either with aircon going at full pelt on a hot day (unlikely on a sleeper train!) or if heating the train from very cold in the depths of winter (which is far more likely!) - even then, if the stock is heated from a shore supply the loco won't have the full load.

peteb

Did you get your whisky in the club car? Or is it now out of bounds to all but club and double passengers?

Lee_Again

I'm travelling to Inverness tomorrow evening (21/9) and looking forward to my first Mk5 experience. I've got a Club Solo. Prior to Covid I was a 2-4 times per year user, often travelling with family and friends. This time I'm taking two sceptical friends. I know they'll love the sleeper experience but I'm crossing everything that we get no problems with crew or stock. These are potential new customers but a bad experience will mean they'll never consider it again.

williamn

I had a great trip up to Glasgow last night. Can't really fault it. Only gripes were ongoing ones - lighting in Club Car far too bright and the stupid vinyls over the windows! Crew lovely, great nights sleep. Oh and I was at the end of the carriage for the first time. I did note a few bumps but nothing that prevented me from getting to sleep tbh.

peteb

I had a great trip up to Glasgow last night. Can't really fault it. Only gripes were ongoing ones - lighting in Club Car far too bright and the stupid vinyls over the windows! Crew lovely, great nights sleep. Oh and I was at the end of the carriage for the first time. I did note a few bumps but nothing that prevented me from getting to sleep tbh.
The fact that you could use the club car on a classic room booking for a nightcap is heartening, were you allowed to use it in the morning or is it just reserved for double and solo club travellers?

We are contemplating Aberdeen or Inverness from Crewe, did it years ago to Inverness and enjoyed it very much. Might form part of a short inter-rail holiday in Europe, flying from ABZ or INV depending on what cheap direct flights on offer, using inter-rail to get to near airport. Is inter-rail permitted on Caledonian Sleeper? I assume there would be a supplement?

Last edited:

williamn

The fact that you could use the club car on a classic room booking for a nightcap is heartening, were you allowed to use it in the morning or is it just reserved for double and solo club travellers?
No idea, on the Lowlander I want to maximise sleep as you arrive so early, so was happy with just tea in my cabin!

Established Member

We are contemplating Aberdeen or Inverness from Crewe, did it years ago to Inverness and enjoyed it very much. Might form part of a short inter-rail holiday in Europe, flying from ABZ or INV depending on what cheap direct flights on offer, using inter-rail to get to near airport. Is inter-rail permitted on Caledonian Sleeper? I assume there would be a supplement?
If it works the same as "domestic" tickets, they are accepted provided you make a reservation. Seat reservations are free, supplements apply to the rooms.

najaB

Veteran Member
If it works the same as "domestic" tickets, they are accepted provided you make a reservation. Seat reservations are free, supplements apply to the rooms.
This is confirmed on the Room Supplements page here: https://www.sleeper.scot/tickets/

Britrail / Inter-Rail / Eurail / FIP Coupons will need to be valid on the date you arrive in your destination but not necessarily on the date you join the train for departures before midnight.

Essexman

Established Member
I had some very positive interactions with CS today.

I booked a new Club Flexipass on Saturday and emailed CS to get a credit on the remaining vouchers on my ‘Classic’ Flexipass. I also pointed out that the berth selection facility isn’t working on the booking website.

Someone called me this afternoon. Because my bank card has changed he couldn’t process the refund but arranged for someone to call later to do this. He changed the berth 2 booking I’ve made for next Sunday to my preferred berth 5 so I’m in the centre of the coach. He said they’re working on getting the online berth selector working again but passengers can phone up and get berths changed if they wish.

A lady called this evening and took new bank details. We talked about their many positives of the sleeper and the niggles like the light on the switch in the berth that can’t be turned off. She said that they are going to alter their website to more reflect the benefits of the sleeper but without giving the ‘Orient Express’ impression that some people pay £200 and expect to receive.

38Cto15E

Lee_again,
Have a good trip and do not forget to update the board on how everything went, I am thinking of travelling Euston to Inverness in Club in November.

Lee_Again

Lee_again,
Have a good trip and do not forget to update the board on how everything went, I am thinking of travelling Euston to Inverness in Club in November.
Thank you. I will.

Thank you. I will.
Had a great trip. A little late boarding but nothing of significance. My room was moved but ‍so what... Great seats in the lounge car. Staff were all very good.
Enjoyed a bacon roll travelling through the highlands before an on time arrival at Inverness. My only [very minor] gripe… the upper deck bed wasn’t put away. Other than that, perfect.

Last edited:

peteb

Thank you. I will.

Had a great trip. A little late boarding but nothing of significance. My room was moved but ‍so what... Great seats in the lounge car. Staff were all very good.
Enjoyed a bacon roll travelling through the highlands before an on time arrival at Inverness. My only [very minor] gripe… the upper deck bed wasn’t put away. Other than that, perfect.
Don't the upper bunks just fold up like they do on continental sleepers? I wonder if they would have folded it away if they were asked? A bit irksome if you wake early and want to sit up for the last hour or two, but compensated by being able to eat in the lounge (which was my favourite part of the trip when I did it years ago).

Speed43125

Thank you. I will.

That last bit was on this thread some ways back, essentially they decided that they were no longer going to fold away the top bunk for single occupancy bookings. The way they framed this operational change was... emm.. rather irksome to many on here with it's rather fake and condescending tone I recall.

Glad you enjoyed your trip nonetheless.

williamn

I always take the ladder off the upper bunk, frees up a bit of space.

But yeah the reason they don’t fold it up is essentially operational convenience. Not very high end hotel!

fgwrich

Established Member
But that's precisely what they did with the 92s that are also doing freight work. That said the more fun albeit ridiculous idea would be to mount Dellners onto the freight trains a la DB/SBB's experimentation.

(It's likely to be financially irresponsible to Dellnerise the 66s seeing as GBRF have a perfectly good barrier vehicle already, but the technical side doesn't seeem like an issue.)
It is possible to Dellnerise a 66 but it isn't pretty. The main problem though in trying to Dellnerise a 66 for sleeper operations would be the necessity to fit some kind of ETS / ETH Through feed, i.e to allow the 73 to still provide the ETS if it ends up as the leading loco.

xotGD

Established Member
If there was a desire to move away from the 73s, wouldn't 67s or 68s be the viable alternatives?

marks87

Established Member
It is possible to Dellnerise a 66 but it isn't pretty. The main problem though in trying to Dellnerise a 66 for sleeper operations would be the necessity to fit some kind of ETS / ETH Through feed, i.e to allow the 73 to still provide the ETS if it ends up as the leading loco.

Those are works of art compared to the Class 57 Thunderbirds that ended up looking like the Ood from Doctor Who.

xotGD

Established Member
How many 67s or 68s do GB lease again?
Well obviously none when they have no need for them. If they did see a need, then conversations would be taking place.

Of course, this is merely hypothetical. The 73 plus 66 lash up may well be here for the long term.

XAM2175

Established Member
Well obviously none when they have no need for them. If they did see a need, then conversations would be taking place.
Leaving aside the question of ownership and availability it would be theoretically possible, provided of course that the locos could be fitted with Dellner couplers. ETH supply could be a bit tight with the 67s (they index 66 compared to 70 for a 73/9), but would be no problem for a 68 (index of 96, apparently).

Off the top of my head 68s would also need to have the route clearance paperwork done for the lines they've not already covered as part of their previous Fife Circle work, but as they're RA 7 (compared to RA 8 for a 67) it shouldn't be too much of a pain.

alangla

Off the top of my head 68s would also need to have the route clearance paperwork done for the lines they've not already covered as part of their previous Fife Circle work, but as they're RA 7 (compared to RA 8 for a 67) it shouldn't be too much of a pain.
Surely that’s only a problem for the WHL given they drag containers to both Aberdeen & Inverness regularly?

najaB

Veteran Member
Surely that’s only a problem for the WHL given they drag containers to both Aberdeen & Inverness regularly?
68s? I've definitely seen 66s and 67s up this way but don't recall seeing any 68s. What flow is that on?