• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Kite159

Veteran Member
Its not going into Kings Cross, its going into Euston via the ECML and it goes via Motherwell and Carstairs to Edinburgh.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61065/2019/04/21/advanced

From the Sleeper website

Sunday 21st April
Summary of changes: Northbound services will depart from London King's Cross. Southbound services will arrive at London King's Cross. There is no service tonight from Watford Junction, Crewe, Preston or Carlisle.

Only judging by what is currently showing on RTT that XC are running buses at Motherwell & looks like there isn't anything Scottish towards Lanark via P1 or P2 it seems to suggest that there might be an engineering block somewhere in that area

(I believe Euston is closed over Easter)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Weight-wise they’d be able to pull it: 2x 73/9s = 3,200hp and a single 73/9 pulled the equivalent of a Load 14 Polmadie to Edinburgh last year. Wouldn’t be able to provide sufficient ETS though - the output would be no more than a single one as it doesn’t double-up in the same way.

If a diesel diversion was required from Carlisle it’d need to split there I reckon and go forward as 2x Load 8s.

Worth noting that pretty much all Glasgow - EDB routes is now electrified and cleared for 92s, so plenty more options compared to the past to divert with the 92 still attached (eg Carstairs to Edinburgh via Whifflet, Cumbernauld and Falkirk).

Only one they wont be able to use is the route via Bathgate

Scotrail84

Established Member
That must be a mistake on real time trains. Got both 1M11 and 1M16 going into Euston.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That must be a mistake on real time trains. Got both 1M11 and 1M16 going into Euston.

It hasn't been updated in the various systems yet and its using the default timings for Sunday nights going via the ECML.

(I was only asking as if it might involve an electric loco via Shotts I would have booked up for something to do over Easter and as a novelty)

Scotrail84

Established Member
It hasn't been updated in the various systems yet and its using the default timings for Sunday nights going via the ECML.

(I was only asking as if it might involve an electric loco via Shotts I would have booked up for something to do over Easter and as a novelty)

It is to be diesel hauled to Edinburgh.

tigerroar

On Moderation
Is this the Sleeper discussion thread?

I've just booked a trip in June, solo club berth. Does my ticket include access to the First Class lounge at Euston and is food and drink in the club car included in the price of the ticket or is that extra?

alistairlees

Established Member

I've just booked a trip in June, solo club berth. Does my ticket include access to the First Class lounge at Euston and is food and drink in the club car included in the price of the ticket or is that extra?
Yes Club class includes access to the virgin trains 1st class lounge at Euston, and also breakfast on the train.

Scotrail84

Established Member

You do not get free food and drinks on the train except breakfast.

gcmozart

Just been browing the CS website and looked up Dundee.

The fact that there's a dedicated Sleeper Lounge with free tea / coffee / biscuits / crisps / etc. should be mentioned.

I also only learnt the last time I was catching the Sleeper south and chatting to the 'Sleeper Lounge Host' that the lounge was also open in the morning for the use of arriving passengers. The fact that she got one or two customers a week should indicate to Serco that they maybe need to do some more advertising of these facilities.

Is the lounge at Dundee restricted to holders of certain classes of ticket only?

cjp

Sometimes just looking back that all has to be in place for this service (engine power, heating, track signals, crews) it is marvelous that this train, a "simple" couple of trains a day service is even running let along running to time as it does most times.
I do generally prefer it to the cheaper and quicker plane. Less hassle centre to centre.

Grandnat

Yes Club class includes access to the virgin trains 1st class lounge at Euston, and also breakfast on the train.

I asked a similar question upthread.

Whilst it seems to be accepted that Club and Caledonian Doubles get First Lounge and Breakfast included - these perks are not mentioned at all on the booking pages or on the description pages on the website.

The only thing that the website mentions is priority access to the club car for these two rooms.

Iskra

Established Member
I asked a similar question upthread.

Whilst it seems to be accepted that Club and Caledonian Doubles get First Lounge and Breakfast included - these perks are not mentioned at all on the booking pages or on the description pages on the website.

The only thing that the website mentions is priority access to the club car for these two rooms.

It is however still on the Virgin Trains website, although using the old terminology of ‘first class passengers.’

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The ORR published the latest data on the industry finances (2017/18) earlier this week. Tucked away in one of the data tables is info showing how much, on average, each passenger journey is subsidised by Government funding, split by TOC.

For the Sleepers, the average subsidy per passenger journey is £103.48. This includes the seated passengers.

The 2016/17 figure was £92.30.

Mathew S

Established Member
The ORR published the latest data on the industry finances (2017/18) earlier this week. Tucked away in one of the data tables is info showing how much, on average, each passenger journey is subsidised by Government funding, split by TOC.

For the Sleepers, the average subsidy per passenger journey is £103.48. This includes the seated passengers.

Do you have a link to that data please? I'd be interested to see certain other companies’ subsidy figures.

TimboM

Established Member

Worth noting that Serco are currently making an annual loss on the Sleeper that's a similar amount to the annual subsidy. Assuming the above figure doesn't incorporate the new stock somehow (which is in the main funding by a government grant), a rough estimate would be that each passenger journey is therefore subsidised to the tune of £200 (half by the government, half by Serco's losses). Gives an indication of what the real cost of sleeper journey would be if all the costs were all passed on to passengers - and just how uneconomical they are to run.

modernrail

Do you have a link to that data please? I'd be interested to see certain other companies’ subsidy figures.
Ouch. Is that on the basis of the existing stock? If so, I wonder what the shift will be with the new stock. I would love to know if/how OBB is doing things for less subsidy bearing in mind it's fares generally seem cheaper.

Does the data really plot down into individual accommodation types or is it just averaged across the accommodation types.

I will be travelling from London Liverpool Street to Herleen in the south of the Netherlands via Harwich and a comfortable ferry cabin for £100 on Sunday evening/Monday morning. I wonder whether there is any hidden subsidy in that fare.

TimboM

Established Member
Ouch. Is that on the basis of the existing stock? If so, I wonder what the shift will be with the new stock. I would love to know if/how OBB is doing things for less subsidy bearing in mind it's fares generally seem cheaper.
Given the new stock is not in service yet and the figures were for 2017/18, it will be on the basis of the existing/old stock.

As per my post above, Serco are also making significant losses - that's really where the additional costs of running the old stock for longer are hitting, so the amount each passenger is being subsidised is unlikely to change between old and new stock (instead Serco's losses would be less).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...il-industry-financial-information-2017-18.pdf

Page 39 is what you want.

The TOCS with big subsidy per passenger journey are the usual suspects, second place goes to TfW (or ATW as they were then) at £10.04. Scotrail just pips Northern for 3rd place by a penny at £6.47.

Worth noting that Serco are currently making an annual loss on the Sleeper that's a similar amount to the annual subsidy. Assuming the above figure doesn't incorporate the new stock somehow (which is in the main funding by a government grant), a rough estimate would be that each passenger journey is therefore subsidised to the tune of £200 (half by the government, half by Serco's losses). Gives an indication of what the real cost of sleeper journey would be if all the costs were all passed on to passengers - and just how uneconomical they are to run.

Correct. The data shows it costs £273.02 to provide a service for each passenger, and passenger income of £78.95, a difference of £195.07. Some of these costs are transfers between TOC, NR and Transport Scotland, so it isn’t an accurate view of income vs expenditure.

cb a1

I think it's more appropriate to look at the funding per passenger km given sleeper journeys and ticket costs are considerably higher than for all the other TOCs.

Using that metric, it's the 5th most expensive.
£ per km
0.26 Northern
0.26 Wales & Borders
0.21 Scotrail
0.19 Merseyrail Electrics
0.16 Caledonian Sleeper

Mathew S

Established Member
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...il-industry-financial-information-2017-18.pdf

Page 39 is what you want.

The TOCS with big subsidy per passenger journey are the usual suspects, second place goes to TfW (or ATW as they were then) at £10.04. Scotrail just pips Northern for 3rd place by a penny at £6.47.

Correct. The data shows it costs £273.02 to provide a service for each passenger, and passenger income of £78.95, a difference of £195.07. Some of these costs are transfers between TOC, NR and Transport Scotland, so it isn’t an accurate view of income vs expenditure.
Ta :)