• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Once more no consideration of dragging over the Settle Carlisle

How are you going to supply any kind of electric train supply to the train if it goes via the Settle Carlisle line? A 92 is the only type of locomotive which can supply enough ETS in normal circumstances and they won't get very far. Put a 66 on the front (if there is even one nearby) and you have three hours in which there is no train supply.

What do you propose? Asking DRS to supply eight 68s?

Again, how important is it to provide the service (especially since going via Settle Carlisle would not get passengers to their destination on time).

JonathanH

Veteran Member

There's only six. They would be able to haul eight coaches each.

Two are in Inverness, one in Fort William, one in Aberdeen and one, maybe two at Craigentinny. 1S25 gets to Preston at about 0040, 1M11 to Carlisle just before 2am. The engines can't be in two places at once and it takes three hours or more to get from Preston to Carlisle. It just doesn't work.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
How are you going to supply any kind of electric train supply to the train if it goes via the Settle Carlisle line? A 92 is the only type of locomotive which can supply enough ETS in normal circumstances and they won't get very far. Put a 66 on the front (if there is even one nearby) and you have three hours in which there is no train supply.

What do you propose? Asking DRS to supply eight 68s?

Again, how important is it to provide the service (especially since going via Settle Carlisle would not get passengers to their destination on time).

With that level of loco demand, DRS could probably charge CS with a bill more than the fares CS got from passengers on the train!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Genuine question: What happens to the on-train staff in this situation (e.g. catering etc)

Do they just get back in position on a daytime train tomorrow morning?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With that level of loco demand, DRS could probably charge CS with a bill more than the fares CS got from passengers on the train!

Yes, and CS would then also have to pay the passengers back their fare for at least a 2 hour delay.

alangla

Bear in mind that in EWS days, when the long sleeper sets were 67 hauled there were usually 2 on the front and another on the back with the ETH cables split in the middle. Assuming the 73s have similar ETH capacity, you’d be looking at a minimum of 4 73s and 2 66s to be able to do this move. It’s unrealistic for a 1 night blockage.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Genuine question: What happens to the on-train staff in this situation (e.g. catering etc)

Do they just get back in position on a daytime train tomorrow morning?

Hasn't it been suggested that they swap halfway on another night to be at the right location on Saturday morning.

sheff1

Established Member
One guy on Twitter has demanded they allow him to now use the 19:00 from Kings Cross instead but they told him ticket acceptance wasn't in place yet. He's adamant that he will go anyway and his ticket will be accepted. Good luck with that.

This links back to what was discussed on this thread some time ago. As CS style themselves as a "luxury" operator they should do the equivalent of what a luxury hotel would do. In this case, they should have given the passenger (and anyone else who wants to travel tonight) an any-card ToD collection code for a ticket valid on the 1900.

And don't get me started on overnight bus replacements for luxury guests, which is what seems to be the only offer.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Highlander crews have swapped at Lockerbie in the past, yes.

That only usually happens during the festive season when services resume on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. No such issue this year though as 1M16 and 1S25 are not running on the 27th Dec due to Haymarket East Jn renewals taking place

Lowlander service will run but departs earlier and will run via the Edinburgh Suburban line.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Replacement road transport is being arranged, they are also trying to sort ticket acceptance.

One guy on Twitter has demanded they allow him to now use the 19:00 from Kings Cross instead but they told him ticket acceptance wasn't in place yet. He's adamant that he will go anyway and his ticket will be accepted. Good luck with that.

not exactly unreasonable behaviour on the part of the customer. As soon as they go public with the announcement they should expect customers to be changing their plans. This is marketed is a high end experience and the customer care needs to reflect that

island

Veteran Member
CS Twitter says Highlander pax will be coached to Edinburgh Waverley for ongoing conveyance by day train.

marks87

Established Member
I cannot see how it can be in any way acceptable to put passengers on a bus.

I would hope there is also the option of a full refund should you decline to take a bus and instead make your own arrangements for accommodation/travel.

Struner

Imagine this (but fortunately it didn’t happen):
I get off the €* & get across (eventually) to Euston. & there CS tells me the sleeper isn’t running. So where am I to go?
- just board the train & I’ll have a bed for the night
- they’ll get me a taxi to convey me to a (“premium” of course :D ) hotel

Basically, I think they’ll fail :(

paul1609

Established Member
Imagine this (but fortunately it didn’t happen):
I get off the €* & get across (eventually) to Euston. & there CS tells me the sleeper isn’t running. So where am I to go?
- just board the train & I’ll have a bed for the night
- they’ll get me a taxi to convey me to a (“premium” of course :D ) hotel

Basically, I think they’ll fail :(
Surely network rail owner of the failed overhead picks up the costs plus reasonable administration costs?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Agreed - the least they should do is run the Highlander south to Edinburgh, and allow passengers to stay on board until the first departure for London.

It looks to me (from RTT) like the Fort William portion has potentially run but the other two bits won't (and any sleeper passengers from the south travelling by coach at 2115 from Euston won't get to Edinburgh for 0450). Glasgow for 0548 is probably feasible though.

In terms of using the sleeping coaches to take passengers to Edinburgh, there are some elements of that plan which are impractical. Firstly, how long are you going to occupy a platform at Edinburgh. If you suggest 0540 then that starts to get in the way of the start of Scotrail's use of Waverley station. Also, how are you going to get the sleeping coaches back to Aberdeen and, particularly, Inverness? The two sleeper trains leave Edinburgh between 0415 and 0445 to get their paths back north. Running them later than scheduled may not be possible within driver hours and pathing them later they will be in the way.

Chrism20

Established Member
It looks to me (from RTT) like the Fort William portion has potentially run but the other two bits won't (and any sleeper passengers from the south travelling by coach at 2115 from Euston won't get to Edinburgh for 0450). Glasgow for 0548 is probably feasible though.

Didn't they run the coach to somewhere like Dumbarton the last time this happened?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Didn't they run the coach to somewhere like Dumbarton the last time this happened?

Caledonian Sleeper twitter confirms that the northbound connection will be made in Glasgow and that the Fort William portion runs to Edinburgh and back

cf111

Established Member
I would hope there is also the option of a full refund should you decline to take a bus and instead make your own arrangements for accommodation/travel.
If I'm reading the guest charter correctly you are entitled to both a refund and replacement transport.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191127_211314.jpg
    Screenshot_20191127_211314.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 22526_CS_Guest-Experience-Charter_WEB-NOV19.pdf
    896.7 KB · Views: 7