• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Also no loco for 1M16 (highlander) tonight due to Friday nights failure.

1M16 was to have been worked by the loco off 1C11 returning ECS from Carstairs.

Plan is now 1M16 will be heavily delayed awaiting the loco off northbound 1S25!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Also no loco for 1M16 (highlander) tonight due to Friday nights failure.

1M16 was to have been worked by the loco off 1C11 returning ECS from Carstairs.

Plan is now 1M16 will be heavily delayed awaiting the loco off northbound 1S25!

Looks like a full refund then for all the southbound passengers this evening!

Going to be a very costly night for Caledonian Sleeper it seems.

mde

Going to be a very costly night for Caledonian Sleeper it seems.
And you could hear a pin drop on their Social Media, there is nothing from tonight at all…

In fact, the last service update was on Saturday morning giving an expected arrival time for the very heavily delayed 1M16 and a link to RTT. The fact a further 50 minutes of delay accrued afterwards without a peep from CS isn't the best look.

It has, of course, been noted before that the folks best placed to deliver updates are the staff on the train themselves; but, given many customers will avail of the onboard wifi (if it works) to check things themselves before seeking out a member of staff it'd be reasonable for someone in the service delivery centre to take a moment to put a message out.

_toommm_

Established Member
Down Highlander getting ready to leave now, should leave about 3.5 hours late . Down Lowlander running around 3 hours late.

mde

Down Highlander getting ready to leave now, should leave about 3.5 hours late . Down Lowlander running around 3 hours late.
Indeed, 1M16 left at 04:40 with a delay of 201 minutes (currently +205m); 1M11 left Carstairs at 03:19 with a delay of 219 minutes, currently running 186L and counting at Carlisle.

The northbound services are faring a bit better: 1S26 is currently 40L, however, 1S25 and its offshoots are still at Waverley, so there may be some delay there.

To their credit, Caledonian Sleeper did, after a considerable delay, provide an update on Twitter at 3:03am for southbound lowlander:
Caledonian Sleeper said:
Service Update: Due to a locomotive failure on our Edinburgh - Euston train this service is currently delayed and is also delaying the Glasgow - Euston service. We are working hard to make up as much time as possible. Please speak to your on board team for further updates.
https://twitter.com/CalSleeper/status/1224166540913922048
… and at 3:06am for southbound highlander:
Caledonian Sleeper said:
Service Update: Due to our earlier locomotive failure there is a knock on impact to our Southbound Highlander service. We are working hard on minimising the delay to this service. Please speak to your on board team for further updates.
https://twitter.com/CalSleeper/status/1224167249537269762

_toommm_

Established Member
Aberdeen portion now getting ready to leave with the Fort William portion behind. No news on the Inverness portion so far...

ruaival

What an eventful early morning ... and I wonder how often the Lowland Sleepers have both berthed at Carlisle ?
IM11 on platform 4 and 1S26 on Platform 1

Lowland_Sleepers_cross_at_Carlisle.jpg

smudga331

Currently in bed on the southbound highlander. Safe to say ive cancelled the alarms for the morning.

Does anybody know why they use 92’s on these? Just an idea, but for days like today, wouldnt a 91 give you a good shot at making some time up when heavily delayed?

TimboM

Established Member
What an eventful early morning ... and I wonder how often the Lowland Sleepers have both berthed at Carlisle ?
IM11 on platform 4 and 1S26 on Platform 1
Crew change (drivers) has been moved from Preston to Carlisle, hence both there together.
Does anybody know why they use 92’s on these? Just an idea, but for days like today, wouldnt a 91 give you a good shot at making some time up when heavily delayed?
92s were purpose built to haul sleepers (the European Nightstar that never was).

The Mk5s were effectively built to the 92s’ spec, especially the ETS (hotel supply) which at an index of 180 is way above any other loco (e.g. 91s have an index of 95). This allowed for all the additional power hungry amenities on board the new stock.

Despite how it may seem from the last few days, they also breakdown in service a lot less frequently than 91s.

There’s also the practical consideration that when the Sleeper contract was up for tender for a new franchise from 2015, all the 91s were gainfully employed by LNER, meaning they wouldn’t have been an option for the sleeper traction contract.

Enjoy the lie-in and the full refund :)

John Bishop

Oh dear, what a night.

Looks like 1M11 and 1S26 are still sat at Carlisle, presumably now getting in the way of early morning passenger services.

alangla

Oh dear, what a night.

Looks like 1M11 and 1S26 are still sat at Carlisle, presumably now getting in the way of early morning passenger services.
Yep. Looks like 1 available through platform and trains waiting outside the station to use it. TransPennine’s 1S30 just left to allow Avanti 1M06 in. ScotRail/Northern 2N10 about to join the queue, thankfully it doesn’t have a long stop at Carlisle

John Bishop

Crew change (drivers) has been moved from Preston to Carlisle, hence both there together.

Enjoy the lie-in and the full refund :)

I assume your being sarcastic here? There’s a lot of people on sleepers last night who are going to miss meetings and have onward travel plans in chaos not to mention further brand damage due to the ongoing issues with CS that seem very reluctant to go away. This is just not good enough irrespective of who’s to blame this time!

ruaival

Are you able to tell me which site that layout is from. Dosent like like open train times
It is actually ... https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps ... for Carlisle

a most useful companion site to Real-Time-Trains, especially at stations like Euston for spotting which platform your train's coaching stock has arrived on; before RTT shows the departure platform and long before the departure boards do

mde

While on the topic of significant delays (1M16 is beating 1M11 to London at the current rate), it's notable that Caledonian Sleeper have a very unfortunate error in their delay repay blurb:

How will I receive my Compensation?
We will usually offer compensation as:

The same payment method you used to buy the original ticket;
National Rail Travel Vouchers, to be used for payment or part payment of a future journey;
Credit or debit card.

Under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, which apply to all train operating companies, the Caledonian Sleeper is not liable for any loss (including consequential loss) or extra costs incurred as a result of a train delay or cancellation. If you are travelling to an airport or onward travel connection such as Eurostar, we request that you ensure that you allow sufficient time when booking arrangements.

As most of us know, the Conditions of Carriage document has long since been replaced (and iterated several times!) by the National Rail Conditions of Travel. Not only that, but, consequential loss is most certainly something that they have to consider on receipt of a claim for said loss.

Given the NRCoT has been in place for over three years now, how many people have they been misadvising as a result of this unfortunate error?

_toommm_

Established Member
Are you able to tell me which site that layout is from. Dosent like like open train times

Traksy is a good alternative too. They both have different areas of coverage, so chances are if one site doesn't have a particular area, the other website will (barring any areas of semaphore signalling of course)

mde

1S26/1B26 Northbound lowlander has been cancelled at Motherwell, arriving 89L. Ticket acceptance in place for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Caledonian Sleeper [URL='https://twitter.com/CalSleeper']@CalSleeper[/URL]
Service Update.: Northbound Lowlander to Glasgow and Edinburgh will now terminate at Motherwell, Ticket acceptance has been authorised for services with ScotRail and CrossCountryUK to either destination. Please accept our sincerest of apologies for the delay. ^L
https://twitter.com/CalSleeper/status/1224251206538797056

marks87

Established Member
Hopefully that’s the February quota of major disruption used up already and everything goes smoothly for my northbound Highlander trip on Wednesday night...

Although I will be homeward bound, and have Thursday off work anyway so as long as the sleeper itself reaches Dundee, I’m good.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
1S26/1B26 Northbound lowlander has been cancelled at Motherwell, arriving 89L. Ticket acceptance in place for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

No loco to work the Edinburgh portion and no loco to perform the shunt release at Glasgow.

Standby for alterations tonight as there’s more trains to run than serviceable locos!

side effect

I assume your being sarcastic here? There’s a lot of people on sleepers last night who are going to miss meetings and have onward travel plans in chaos not to mention further brand damage due to the ongoing issues with CS that seem very reluctant to go away. This is just not good enough irrespective of who’s to blame this time!
It is actually ... https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps ... for Carlisle

a most useful companion site to Real-Time-Trains, especially at stations like Euston for spotting which platform your train's coaching stock has arrived on; before RTT shows the departure platform and long before the departure boards do
Ok thanks again. I use traksy and the diagrams on railcam but none seem to have a live feed at Inverness.

Requeststop

Indeed, 1M16 left at 04:40 with a delay of 201 minutes (currently +205m); 1M11 left Carstairs at 03:19 with a delay of 219 minutes, currently running 186L and counting at Carlisle.

The northbound services are faring a bit better: 1S26 is currently 40L, however, 1S25 and its offshoots are still at Waverley, so there may be some delay there.

To their credit, Caledonian Sleeper did, after a considerable delay, provide an update on Twitter at 3:03am for southbound lowlander:

… and at 3:06am for southbound highlander:

Got to look for some positives out of a disaster.

1M16 actually left Inverness +4 but made it up to Slochd -7. Not bad.

It passed Carstairs East Jcn at +206 and made it to Rugby North Jcn at +176! Though at 09:40 in the morning I most probably would be wide awake at that time wondering what on earth went wrong and what about my flights to wherever or that business meeting in the smoke that I'd missed.

Ben.A.98

Ok thanks again. I use traksy and the diagrams on railcam but none seem to have a live feed at Inverness.

Inverness panel is not connected to the live data feeds being a 1980s install. The HML and Aberdeen line are because of their recent resignalling to the Highland Workstation.