• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I might be wrong, but I'm almost certain that they actually were part of the ICWC shadow franchise, and were operated by ScotRail as a subcontract of some sort. I don't know if Virgin Trains was ever responsible for them, though, or if it ended with the actual franchising.
I'm sure I seem to recall that some VTWC guards or drivers operated the sleeper also, up until the point where ScotRail took over, then again I could be imagining that!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

I'm sure I seem to recall that some VTWC guards or drivers operated the sleeper also, up until the point where ScotRail took over, then again I could be imagining that!
VTWC traction as well in the early days. Moved to EWS after a while

On Moderation
VTWC traction as well in the early days. Moved to EWS after a while
Virgin provided the traction and crews under contract, just as EWS/DB Cargo did after that and GB Railfreight do now.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Can't answer that one but would the stock just have been part of the InterCity Sleeper fleet and network?

In Intercity days Wembley was home to the sleeper fleet. Inverness at that point was a railfreight loco depot.

Didn’t the Western mk3 sleeping cars at one point use Wembley for servicing?

Scotrail84

Established Member

That ended in 2004 when ScotRail took over and provided guards for every sleeper service until Serco took over.

bluesfromagun

That ended in 2004 when ScotRail took over and provided guards for every sleeper service until Serco took over.
Even up until 2004, it was ScotRail Waverley and Central Conductors who worked it with VWC Polmadie drivers between Edinburgh/Glasgow Central and Carlisle, before handing over to (presumably) VWC Preston crew once over the border and vice versa.
Not forgetting that the Fort William / Edinburgh (37 then latterly 67) legs were worked by ScotRail Queen St and Fort William drivers, right up until Serco took over. Presumably because EWS / DBC didn't have enough drivers with the route knowledge for the WHL sleeper to be part of their contract.

TimboM

Established Member
Wonder why Serco didn't just continue that arrangement?
Serco partnered with GBRf as traction provider in their bid - was then up to GBRf how to resource the traction/crews. GBRf already had the Alcans running to Fort William, so had crews and "depots" covering that route - so more sense to utilise/expand that resource than hire it in.

i assume GBRF offered a better deal/cheaper pricetag as they could make use of there underused 92's and 73's
That's not really how the Sleeper franchise bids worked - each bidder partnered with a traction provider up front and that was part of the 'package' they put forward. It wasn't a case that Serco won it, then went out looking for who could provide the traction the cheapest.

The Serco bid was the only one of the three bids that proposed brand new ETS-guzzling stock and the 92s were (and still are) the only locos that could provide the sort of ETS supply required for a full Load 16 rake. Hence the tie-in with GBRf as traction provider and use of the 92s was fundamental to the Serco bid and based on more than just cost.

Dave1954

On Moderation
Viewed 23:50 1S25 Departing Crewe from Platform 12 tonite ,I was quite chuffed seeing it leave on crewe 5 cam as i have never saw it from there before , would this be regular Departure from there ??
Regards Dave54.

TimboM

Established Member
Viewed 23:50 1S25 Departing Crewe from Platform 12 tonite ,I was quite chuffed seeing it leave on crewe 5 cam as i have never saw it from there before , would this be regular Departure from there ??
Regards Dave54.
It usually goes in / is booked for P6. Only tends to go in P12 when something is in the way on P6 that probably shouldn’t be there (eg. late running empty units).

Steddenm

Regards Dave54.
Looking on Realtimetrains.co.uk it seems that it was rerouted into Platform 12 for some reason.

Platform 6 had a late running ECS move in the Platform (Transport for Wales)

Platform 11 had a TfW Chester service due.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Looking on Realtimetrains.co.uk it seems that it was rerouted into Platform 12 for some reason.

Platform 6 had a late running ECS move in the Platform (Transport for Wales)

Platform 11 had a TfW Chester service due.
The sleeper only fits in 6 & 12, so what is in 11 doesn’t matter (or what’s in 1 & 5 come to that)

Established Member
The sleeper only fits in 6 & 12, so what is in 11 doesn’t matter (or what’s in 1 & 5 come to that)
I had the sleeper on platform 1 in August 2019 on a Manchester divert. I was in the Inverness seats right at the back. We were so far off the platform it took me a few minutes to work out why we'd stopped! Despite me knowing Crewe station well.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The sleeper can use any through platform at any station because it has ASDO.
It isn't very helpful if it blocks up junctions though. It typically sits at Crewe for a while to fit its slot south of Euston at a time when there are other trains moving.

theironroad

Established Member
I would have thought that that would be a safety critical failure and so immediately out of service.

Certainly if the default/manual override system is faulty then a train should only be stopping at platforms that can fully accommodate the trains length.