• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calendar app for drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axlecounter

I'm currently trying to step into the future (:lol:) and use a calendar app to keep track of my work+family schedule.
Apparently isn't as easy as I thought. Normal calendar apps don't seem to like much a driver's schedule (ie a shift ending after midnight gets split between the two days, stuff like that..) and specifical shift-workers apps are based on fix rotas and/or fix shift times, which is not my case.

Does any of you use something like this? What is it?

My employer provides a nice WebCal link to sync the calendar but if I don't find a suitable app...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I use my phone calendar (IOS)....works great, you can rotate the shifts as often as you like by the day/week or however often the shift rotates. Finishing on a different day to starting doesn’t seem to affect it as the shift is always shown on the correct day?

ComUtoR

Established Member

Agreed.

One of our Drivers made a excellent excel sheet. It could import the base roster and you could put in any line/date and you could see what your working.

Other Drivers were using it to manage changeovers etc as you could also compare days with another Driver.

It was really good....

Choo choo 66

I use family album, seems to work quite well. Still use my diary, but the wife likes to know working times etc

choochoochoo

Established Member
I use my phone calendar (IOS)....works great, you can rotate the shifts as often as you like by the day/week or however often the shift rotates. Finishing on a different day to starting doesn’t seem to affect it as the shift is always shown on the correct day?
You can also make sunday the first day of the week :)

alxndr

Established Member
Not a driver, but I do work shifts including nights. I've been using Google Calendar for years with no issues.

As an example, I was on night shifts from Monday-Thursday on the first and last weeks in the screenshot below. As you can see, they don't show up on Friday (unless I go into the weekly or daily views where it's broken down by the hour).
I have other things set to recur automatically (e.g. bin day and payday).
Eyc7MBV.jpg

I also like that I can view it on multiple devices, or share it with others.

axlecounter

My problem is that we have a base annual roster but in that you just merely can see when you‘re off.
Firstly it’s just half-filled, so the other half is sort of “spare“ shifts which will become whatever shift later on. And second any shift can change up to 3 days before, so you can’t just choose a line and see what you’ll be doing. Excel will not do it for me...

Bullybully18

I use Flex rpro its an app and works really well with shifts. A lot of drivers at my depot use it. Once you input the shifts if you make any alterations to the timings of the shift it will change every shift that is the same throughout the app. You can set it to repeat forever so if inputing free days you can see what you will be working months and years in advance.

alxndr

Established Member
My problem is that we have a base annual roster but in that you just merely can see when you‘re off.
Firstly it’s just half-filled, so the other half is sort of “spare“ shifts which will become whatever shift later on. And second any shift can change up to 3 days before, so you can’t just choose a line and see what you’ll be doing. Excel will not do it for me...

How about inputting all the days you are definitely off into an app (e.g. Google Calendar as that's what I'm most familiar with). Then set up a second calendar within the app that you add the confirmed shifts to as and when you find out. That way you can plan in advance based on the days you're off, and still have somewhere to keep track of what time you've got to turn up to work etc once you find out.

You'd be able to toggle between seeing one or both calendars at a time and can have them different colours to make it clear when you're in and when you're off.

Status
Not open for further replies.