• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caley Sleeper - changing reserved seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
I'm just about to book a return journey on the seated sleeper from Dundee-Euston, with two advance singles at £23.10 each.

I wasn't given the option to specify seat preferences and when I got details of my reservations, both were for A01A, which I don't think is a single seat (I used the virtual tour to extrapolate seat numbers back - http://www.scotrail.co.uk/virtual-tour/seated).

The problem is that the fare to London would appear to be the last one - when I go through the booking process again, it's not there. So I don't particularly want to give it up.

Would I be able to have the reservations changed at the station? If so, would I be charged for it (even if I am, adding £20 is still a decent price and worth it IMHO for a single seat).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If that link you provided gives an exact representation of the seat numbering scheme then I believe that Seat 01 is the single seat at the end of the carriage on the singles side, opposite Seat 03.

marks87

Established Member
Isn't that facing another one? Because that's less preferable to me than being in a '2'.

michael769

Established Member
Give Scotrail a call on 08457 55 00 33, see if they will change it for you.

marks87

Established Member
To update on this, I collected the tickets today and went into the booking office to find out if they could do anything. The guy at the counter said that they had no access to web bookings and to give the web people a call instead.

So I gave them a call and got nowhere -- according to the person I spoke to, they don't have access to overnight trains and even if they did, the seat I have the seat I'm meant to have for the price I paid (not sure about the former, but the latter is definitely BS). He gave me the number for Caley Sleeper enquiries. I rang it, and explained to the agent the situation (including the call to the web people), but she explained they can't alter web bookings.

But then she had a flash of genius and asked for the reference number on the reservation coupon. Result! She was able to make me new reservations in single seats and cancel the old ones free of charge.

island

Veteran Member
That's good. Normally there is a £10 fee to change seat on an advance.

marks87

Established Member
That's good. Normally there is a £10 fee to change seat on an advance.
My argument was that the online system didn't give me the option of "individual", so I was left in the hands of the gods.

You could argue that by getting a cheap advance fare, I should just accept what I'm given. But then if I'd gone to the station, I could've chosen.

Still, alls well that ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.