• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

California votes $10 billion for high-speed rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
WHILE the debate continues in Britain about whether to build high-speed rail lines beyond the 68-mile long Channel Tunnel rail link, the people of California have voted in favour of a high-speed network that could extend to 800 miles.

Voters were asked to decide whether to allocate $10 billion (£6.2 bn) to start to build the system, and approved it by 52 per cent to 48 per cent.

Quentin Kopp, Chairman of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, said the new rail network — with trains operating at up to 350 km/h, 220 mph — would deliver “a high-speed train system that will cost two to three times less than expanding freeways and airports to accommodate millions of new Californians by 2030.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/international/2008/11/06-california-high-speed.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bighat

It's interesting to note that the stations feature high level platforms for 'walk on/off' access, rather than the more usual climb on low level platforms more usually associated with long distance rail travel in the USA.

Aye. I've seen this already. Six months ago, Dad pointed out a video to me that illustrated this idea in 3D.
I may easily be able to meet up, but this is going to take a long time to build. I don't think construction has even started yet, and an eight-hundred mile long line is no easy task to build within four years. It's going to take ten years with current technology to lay half that much track. And also, the rolling stock, speed limits, route, bridge types and the electrification style must be taken into consideration... (This will be electrified)
Here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1QGNsRg74

And also, California is broke. So how are they going to afford to pay 10 billion dollars for a new railway?

Last edited:
Have you not heard? California is one of the forty-five or so states that are in debt by billions of dollars. With the crash and inevitable bankruptcy of the US, how can California afford to pay 10 billion dollars for a 700-800 mile area of railway track?

But when it does open, I'll definitely be there. I'll try and add the british touch too if I can... Hopefully I can get down there when the construction phases begin...

andersley

Good to know they are seriously thinking about rail for a change - but will it get built in my lifetime?...........:roll:

bluemeansgo

It's interesting to note that the stations feature high level platforms for 'walk on/off' access, rather than the more usual climb on low level platforms more usually associated with long distance rail travel in the USA.

Well, they would likely use European or Japanese Technology, which are all high-level.

Gareth Hale

Why spend that much when travel already exists and does the same (probably faster and more reliable too). AKA, Aeroplane!

bluemeansgo

Why spend that much when travel already exists and does the same (probably faster and more reliable too). AKA, Aeroplane!

Aeroplanes are a great solution... only problem is the airports are hard to weave into urban fabric.

Less efficient, too.

David

Established Member

By rail from Sacremento city center to San Diego city center - roughly 3 hours (add another hour for getting to/from the stations). Total about 4 hours

By air. Drive to Sacremento airport (say about an hour). Check in 2 hours before the flight. Flight time about 1 and 1/2 hours. Reclaim baggage and other assorted activities at San Diego airport (say another hour). Drive to the city center (another hour).

No contest really. Oh, add in the fact that the business (wo)men will be able to get some work done on the train as well ....

Watch this video and you'll find out why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1QGNsRg74

Cracking publicity video.

Callufrax

Californian airports and freeways, around the large cities, are at, or approaching, saturation point. Airport delays are atrocious, which creates a knock-on effect. Massive infrastructure works would have to have been done, one way or another. Building more freeways will only clog up the cities even more (Southern California is bad enough as it is - particularly the I-5 and connecting freeways). Building the high-speed rail system will provide a faster link, and free up airport capacity for longer haul flights.

As I haven't yet seen it posted, the official website is http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to know they are seriously thinking about rail for a change - but will it get built in my lifetime?...........:roll:

I concur, this is fascinating news, but I too remain concerned it won't be finished until after I pass away or become too ill to fly.

Nice idea and all that, but I'm going to wait until more than a few people have said yes to the idea before even thinking about going over there. Fancy going over to do things like The South-West Chief, but it costs far too much to fly over the water and do such things.

peggey08

it's great that CA is getting this rail link, America is so far behind in railways. this is the better option than to expand freeways and airports

evil_hippo

JUST long distance travel? Have you ever been on the commuter rail systems in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Massachusetts?

Here exactly the same is true, and because the steps onto the train are brought into use manually by the conductor (who has to lift a metal "trapdoor" that passengers walk over to board and alight at high platforms, revealing the steps underneath), at some stations dozens of commuters have to board up three steps through two open doors.

The second and third of four trains in this video - Starting at 00:43 - illustrate very well the arrangements used daily by commuters on the MARC system in the same way as other systems on the East Coast.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OuK_5gOLBUs

It seems fairly primitive, but it's the way that staff and passengers have been working for years, and the one good thing that comes out of it is that you're always greeted by a usually friendly and welcoming conductor as you board and alight; indeed, regular commuters often get a "see you tomorrow", or a brief discussion about why either the commuter or the passenger won't be there tomorrow.

And so, with all this in mind, this is why the high platforms planned on the systems produce a degree of excitement to Americans that might seem puzzling to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.