• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calling On Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
To be fair here, you said he got grumpy, many do not agree with some of the ridiculous rules set out and will have a moan about them but wouldn't breach them this guy you refer to seems to be one of these and there are many about who have the same thoughts. The drivers rule book in effect is an insurance policy and the TOC's PDP is a back covering publication.

Guessing here but you probably have some sort of TOC specific speed requirement at an AWS magnet/200m from signal, say 20mph? The over-emphasis on looking at the correct speed rather than concentrating on the red itself at the end of the platform is what i meant.

As an example, that 15mph mentioned above is exactly the sort of trouble that could catch a newer driver out. Driver assumes 15mph max whilst expecting to go onto another unit, (i'll not use THAT phrase haha) does that and drops his backside on seeing two very small red position lights almost instantly because of looking at a speedo to ensure they're only doing 15. Trying to solve one problem causes another. etc etc etc.

I totally agree with you about that back covering comment, ultimately that is what leads to the frustrations of many of us. Ultimately there shouldn't be any deviations from rule book. It should be one specific set of rules that everyone obeys with nothing else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScouserGirl

Goodness me. As somebody who has been on the railway for 32yrs including being a signalman & now as a driver, I never realised something so straight forward could be made out to be so flipping complicated. It's just being called on into an occupied platform but be prepared to stop short of any obstruction. The odd remote incident, which is exactly what this is & in these very very safe times, seems to cause an irrational response. Of course I hope all involved have a speedy recovery but let's keep things in perspective.

I can't believe everyone arguing over "calling on" and I can't believe this thread is still going!!

Bromley boy

Established Member
The rule book defines caution as a speed you can stop short of any obstruction taking into account track curvature, weather, train brake capabilities etc. There is no set speed on subsidiaries, other than permissible line speed, other factors may be tpws grids set to activate above a certain speed under subsidiaries.

Thanks - exactly this.

No idea why it has descended into such a farce. "Calling on" is clearly widely understood amongst drivers and signallers to mean the above. So long as everyone knows what it means, who cares?

Then again discussion of a non existent 15mph requirement is clearly a dangerous red herring and goes to show not everyone commenting understands the requirements.

Last edited:

Signal Head

And just to throw another term into the mix, the WR standard control tables associated with their standard interlocking in use at Plymouth (E10K) describe this signal aspect as 'DA' - standing for Draw Ahead - not Call(ing) on.

Draw Ahead has in the past been used in the Rule Book, and Signalling Principles, to refer to a position light subsidiary cleared without specifying whether the route is Calling on or Shunt class, but in this case the controls applied to the aspect are consistent with what elsewhere would be referred to as Calling on.

Status
Not open for further replies.