Calveley to Wolverhampton

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by Philip, 23 Jul 2019.

1. Philip

Philip Established Member

Does anyone know the details about a potential scheme to convert the Chester and Birmingham & Liverpool Junction Canals (the Shropshire Union) to railway? I've read brief mention of the scheme, which was apparently a branch off the Crewe to Chester line at Calveley and then using the line of the canal to Oxley. Calveley would have been a canal-railway transhipment point, with canal cargo from Ellesmere Port and Chester being loaded into the wagons.

How close was this scheme from getting an act of parliament to authorise it? And what would the railway system between the North West and the West Midlands be like today had the conversion gone ahead? From a personal point of view, I'm very glad this didn't go ahead!

It's worth pointing out that the 1835 Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (built by Telford) really provided a blue print of engineering techniques for the construction of the railways that followed, so the conversion probably wouldn't have been as big a job as you might think, at least south of Nantwich where this canal starts.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

I think the proposal was in the period immediately before the formation of the LNWR in 1846 by the merger of the London & Birmingham, Grand Junction and Manchester & Birmingham railways.
    The L&B was keen on the conversion as a means to penetrate GJ territory, but the merger put paid to all that.
    The LNWR bought the Shropshire Union canal company in 1847, but decided not to convert any more canals to railways in return for a commitment to support the continuing operation of the canals.
    Although they did convert the Coalport canal to a railway.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire_Union_Railways_and_Canal_Company

4. realaledrinker

realaledrinker Member

Would such a scheme have had benefits today when the A51 through Calveley is an absolute nightmare, with use by Ireland - Continent HGVs amongst many others causing mayhem and frustration to locals like myself. Whilst campaigns to re-open Tarporley station gather tumbleweed.

Sorry for veering off topic but feels justified today of all days with discussions about the new Cabinet being hijacked by the Dahn Sarf brigade!