• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alastair

I'm hoping to head to Vietnam later this year and am mulling trying to head into Cambodia for a few days.

I've come across this which suggests the railways are reopening, or at least a very small section has reopened...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07986ds/the-travel-show-116-cambodia

Does anyone have any further knowledge of the railways in Cambodia?

There is some info here: http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Train service if thats of any use.

Chester1

Established Member
In November I travelled from Singapore to the Thai-Cambodia border by train, then across Cambodia by taxis, speed boat and coach, followed by another coach from Phom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City. I believe there are still no passenger rail services in Cambodia, the planned reopenings are repeatedly missing targets. I would highly reccomend the speed boat between Phom Penh and Siem Reap, its $35 takes about 6 and a half hours. There are big comfy leather seats, there is a toilet, and you are allowed to sit on the top of the boat (would never be allowed in the UK!), was pretty cool to sit out sun bathing with a beer at 25mph!!! The coaches in Cambodia are generally good but nothing special.

ian959

I wish I could find the link but right now I can't.

Royal Railways just restarted the Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville passenger service this week. First passenger train to run in Cambodia in ages.

Nothing on their website of course...

dutchflyer

Established Member
BUT this was only a temporary reinstatement and now ended-the usual Thai/Khmer etc New year (that water throwing festival) are around 14/4 and draw large amounts of pax.
Basically Khmerland only has 2 raillines, metergauge, from PnPn west to Thai border (all out of use and overgrown) and to the seaport of Sihanouk, which is renovated and has the best potential-for freight=containers (Sih. is the main seaport). An Australian comp. named TOLL won the contract to renovate it all, but is way behind promised schedule.
Of course there are many more buses, much more frequent, quicker and convenient to access, same as in TH. seat61 grossly overstates those rails-or neglects-the alternatives most locals also prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.