• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian Coast day ranger w/ railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panceltic

Hello,

I am not entirely sure about the validity of the Cambrian Coast day ranger in the morning. I would like to use it on a weekday.

The ticket itself (£13 or £8.50 with a railcard) is valid after 0914, while there is also a minimum fare of £12 for railcard-discounted tickets before 1000.

BR Fares suggests that a discounted ranger is valid after 0914 with no mention of the railcard minimum fare. Is this correct? Can I use it for a 0930 departure from Aberystwyth?

Thanks a lot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As far as I know, the minimum fare only applies to Anytime and (Super) Off Peak tickets.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Personally id take the 0830 and pay the £12.00 minimum fare for a AYW to PWL SDR - which will do the same thing as the Rover but gets you to destinations on the Coast line 2 hours earlier than the 0930. The 0830 has a 6 minute connection at Dovey Junction whereas the 0930 you have to go through to Machynlleth and wait 55 minutes for a coast train.

Panceltic

Thank you! This ticket permits breaks of journey right?

I did the Cambrian Coast once already, but it was a Saturday so getting the 0830 was not a problem.

Panceltic

Great, thank you. On second thought, I think I'll go for the Off-Peak return (valid by any train) which permits break of journey on the return leg so I'll do it the other way round (staying in Pwllheli overnight).

Traintripper

Personally id take the 0830 and pay the £12.00 minimum fare for a AYW to PWL SDR - which will do the same thing as the Rover but gets you to destinations on the Coast line 2 hours earlier than the 0930. The 0830 has a 6 minute connection at Dovey Junction whereas the 0930 you have to go through to Machynlleth and wait 55 minutes for a coast train.

I love this forum for all the helpful suggestions such as these. I was on the Cambrian coast yesterday, travelling to Barmouth. It’s a wonderful day out on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.