• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge - Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
right then, got an interview near Oxford next Friday (17th). They're not paying travel expenses (hiss!). I need to be at Yarnton by 2pm, so I reckon I need to be at Oxford at 1pm (to be on the safe side). Not quite sure how long it'll be- I'm guessing at leaving Oxford after 6pm

I have: 16-25 railcard
Oyster PAYG

Are there any splitting benifits to be had?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
right then, got an interview near Oxford next Friday (17th). They're not paying travel expenses (hiss!). I need to be at Yarnton by 2pm, so I reckon I need to be at Oxford at 1pm (to be on the safe side). Not quite sure how long it'll be- I'm guessing at leaving Oxford after 6pm

I have: 16-25 railcard
Oyster PAYG

Are there any splitting benifits to be had?

The journey from Cambridge to Oxford is not easy on rail.

The easiest and cheapest travelling option is the X5 Coach run by Stagecoach, this costs £10.50 return for an Adult, runs every 30 minutes and takes 3 hours 15 minutes.

For a quick comparison journey time wise, to arrive into Oxford for 1300, travelling by rail, you would be required to leave Cambridge at 0950 changing twice at KGX and PAD with an arrival time of 1248. By coach you would be required to leave at 0940 with no changes and an arrival time of 1255.

Verdict- the coach and rail are pretty equal journey time wise but the coach has the added advantage of requiring no change enroute

A quick comparison price wise, the cheapest walk up fare available by rail, for the travel times you require, would be the Off Peak Day Return (CDR) at £28.40 (16-25 Discounted), nearly three times the £10.50 price by coach.

Verdict- the coach wins hands down price wise and no amount of split ticketing is going to reduce the price to anywhere near the £10.50 coach fare.

Last edited:

class377man

It's not a train but the Stagecoach X5 coach is probably your best bet I think. £10.50 day return and a travelling time similar to the train. You won't have to change either.

Never actually been on one so I don't know what the seating/legroom is like but I think it's worth bearing in mind, unless you specifically want to go on the train.

EDIT: I cant type as fast as glynn :D

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Megabus now sell tickets on the X5, and I see plenty of £1 seats on Friday 17th.

The X5 fleet has recently been upgraded, so IIRC they're very new Plaxton-bodied vehicles with leather seats, at-seat power and onboard wifi.

http://www.stagecoachx5.com/

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They've been going 4 months or so apparently, I've only just heard of them! They sound rather nice and luxurious, far better than what the railway can offer with free WiFi, power sockets and leather seats. For £10.50, that is an absolute bargain!

mathmo

If you really wanted to do it by rail then you could easily get the 10.15 from Cambridge, getting into London soon after 11.00, then get to Paddington in plenty of time for the 11.50 to Oxford, arrive 12.48. I know this doesn't allow the minimum recommended time but I've done Kings Cross - Paddington in under 15 minutes before now if I get a move on, and during a weekday there will be plenty of tube trains.

However, as others have said, the X5 is certainly both easier and cheaper (although, according to people who've used it, the most mind-numbingly depressing tour of Milton Keynes and various other places on the way - it takes hours for a reason!).

gingerheid

Established Member
Always the X5!

Though one of the lovely new coaches got badly damaged in an accident, so one of the old R reg coaches is running around too. You'd be unlucky to come across it though!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hmm. The one thing the train would give me is a bit more flexibility- I do know people in Oxford, so there's a possibility of going to the pub. Last through X5 is at half seven. Last sensible rail journey from Oxford is half ten.
Something to think about anyway. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.