• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge Platform 4 to be extended to accommodate 240m trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Platform at Cambridge station to be extended to make room for new longer trains
Platform at Cambridge station to be extended to make room for new longer trains

Wednesday, 16 September 2020
A platform at Cambridge station is set to be made longer by 40 metres to allow Greater Anglia’s new long Bombardier commuter trains to call there.

A Bombadier train on a test

The new trains will be longer than ever before, boasting more than 1,000 seats - this means that platform 4 at Cambridge station needs to be made longer to enable the trains to stop there safely.
The £4 million project, which is due to start in December and finish in May 2021, will see new equipment including public address speakers, CCTV cameras and lighting also installed.
The platform at Cambridge, which was the busiest station on the Greater Anglia network outside of London with 12 million customers a year before the Covid-19 pandemic, will remain open during the works.
Greater Anglia’s Franchise and Programme director, Ian McConnell, said: “This key work will enable our new Bombardier commuter trains to run on our route between London Liverpool Street and King’s Lynn, giving commuters all the mod-cons they’d expect from a train in the 21st century.”
Engineering firm Dyer and Butler has been awarded the contract to undertake the work and will work closely with the train company’s new trains project team throughout.
Paul Fennessy, Dyer & Butler Operations Manager, commented: “We are delighted to deliver these works at Cambridge Station on behalf of Network Rail. This project will provide improved accessibility and additional capacity for passengers visiting the station and supports Greater Anglia’s continued programme of investment in the railway in East Anglia.”
The new Bombardier commuter trains are all longer than the trains they are replacing, with more seats, air conditioning, fast free Wi-Fi, improved passenger information screens, better accessibility features and bicycle spaces on each train.
The trains will have underfloor heating – a first for UK trains – which will work with an overhead heating and ventilation system to improve passenger comfort and increase foot room for passengers sitting in window seats.
The trains are significantly lighter than previous trains and feature regenerative braking which delivers energy back into the electrical supply network, rather than wasting the energy, through heat, as is the case with conventional systems.
The first of the new Bombardier trains is due to enter passenger service on the Greater Anglia network later this year, with the roll-out expected to reach the West Anglia line in the second half of 2021.
Make a lot of sense operationally, allowing 2x720/5 to use platform 4 and also allowing Great northern 12-car services to use it. The existing signals for northbound trains from P4 are over 55m from the top of the current ramp, so I'm guessing they'll be hoping that sighting will still be fine without moving that. Platform 5 won't be extended I think (and doesn't need to be) as the points for 5/6 would need to be moved as well

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Whats the betting that reversing using Platform 4 might be too tight for a 240m train?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Once this remodelled in the last 20 years already?
A new island was added which is platform 7 and 8. Platform 4 is the northern half of the original long platform and I don't think it was affected by that work.

Not easy to see the scissors crossover on Bing maps but I make it 260m from what I think is the protecting signal for it to the north end platform starter.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A new island was added which is platform 7 and 8. Platform 4 is the northern half of the original long platform and I don't think it was affected by that work.

Not easy to see the scissors crossover on Bing maps but I make it 260m from what I think is the protecting signal for it to the north end platform starter.

The Up direction signal (CA162) is underneath the platform canopy, pretty much right on the toes of the scissors.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Up direction signal (CA162) is underneath the platform canopy, pretty much right on the toes of the scissors.
I may have been measuring from the OLE gantry, but that's probably pretty much on the toes as well.

Meerkat

Established Member
If they aren’t moving the signal what are they making the platform out of to cost £4m!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Whats the betting that reversing using Platform 4 might be too tight for a 240m train?
One hopes that this will be thought of. Although in the current/pre-covid off-peak timetable the only reversing trains in the through platforms are the Brighton Thameslinks. Liverpool Street services terminate at Cambridge North, Kings Cross Great Northern express services run to Ely or Kings Lynn with any split off carriages shunting to the sidings and the stopping service uses platforms 2&3

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If they aren’t moving the signal what are they making the platform out of to cost £4m!

Well for starters, it's tricky to access between running lines and bound to need some disruptive possessions.

One hopes that this will be thought of. Although in the current/pre-covid off-peak timetable the only reversing trains in the through platforms are the Brighton Thameslinks. Liverpool Street services terminate at Cambridge North, Kings Cross Great Northern express services run to Ely or Kings Lynn with any split off carriages shunting to the sidings and the stopping service uses platforms 2&3

Turning back services could draw up closer to the signal at a 'T' stopboard if necessary, if this were an issue.

Meerkat

Established Member
How much do you think it should cost?
I don’t know, it’s superficially just a raised deck a landscape gardener could knock up.
its obviously not that simple so I thought someone might be able to give me a rough breakdown of why.
£4m is a lot of money - if it’s just for a few metres of platform you surely must understand why non-rail people look at the railways and wonder how they spend so much money, and how anything decent will ever be affordable.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I don’t know, it’s superficially just a raised deck a landscape gardener could knock up.
its obviously not that simple so I thought someone might be able to give me a rough breakdown of why.
£4m is a lot of money - if it’s just for a few metres of platform you surely must understand why non-rail people look at the railways and wonder how they spend so much money, and how anything decent will ever be affordable.
The cost will be on the basis of the entire project, and will include the costs associated with shutting a very busy station for some of the work- I can see a need to have power off for some works.

And the structure itself needs to be rather more robust than a garden raised deck

Meerkat

Established Member
The cost will be on the basis of the entire project, and will include the costs associated with shutting a very busy station for some of the work- I can see a need to have power off for some works.

And the structure itself needs to be rather more robust than a garden raised deck
Some of the wooden stations have lasted for decades despite being less robust looking than some garden decks! I thought technological advance was supposed to make things quicker and cheaper....

camflyer

Does this mean that the combined platforms 1 + 4 will overtake Gloucester to be the longest in the country?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does this mean that the combined platforms 1 + 4 will overtake Gloucester to be the longest in the country?

No, Gloucester is over 600m. Cambridge's extension will make it just over 500m by my maths.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Measuring on Google Maps, the length between the fence at the end of 1 and the top of the ramp at 2 is currently ~545m, so this will make it 585m (at least), still shorter than Gloucester. Ianno87 I think you forgot to account for the crossover?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Measuring on Google Maps, the length between the fence at the end of 1 and the top of the ramp at 2 is currently ~545m, so this will make it 585m (at least), still shorter than Gloucester. Ianno87 I think you forgot to account for the crossover?

Should be a 240m train in each half, plus about 20 metres for the crossover (500m) plus "a bit" for signal standback.

Class 170101

Established Member

I suppose the question will be then is how close ther signals are for splitting - ref Kngs Cross to Kings Lynn services.

MikePJ

The timetable was changed not that long ago to send all the Liverpool St trains to terminate at Cambridge North, in anticipation of the 720s taking over, as there wasn't capacity to reverse them at Cambridge. It meant that the Great Northern stopper no longer served Cambridge North, which wasn't popular! It'll be interesting to see if that decision is changed again once the platform extension opens.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The timetable was changed not that long ago to send all the Liverpool St trains to terminate at Cambridge North, in anticipation of the 720s taking over, as there wasn't capacity to reverse them at Cambridge. It meant that the Great Northern stopper no longer served Cambridge North, which wasn't popular! It'll be interesting to see if that decision is changed again once the platform extension opens.

Doubt it - the main issue is that anything not going to Cambridge North must terminate in Platform 2/3; which are only 8-car (so the Kings Cross stoppers by default).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Already being used by other services.
I suppose the Norwich-Stansted now uses these as well actually...

7 is usually chewed up twice per hour for the Brighton terminators.

8 is for pretty much everything running through North to South.

The Norwich-Stansteds however quite commonly use 4 in the Up direction.

sjoh

7 is usually chewed up twice per hour for the Brighton terminators.

8 is for pretty much everything running through North to South.

The Norwich-Stansteds however quite commonly use 4 in the Up direction.
Yeah just checked, and today they've used 4 both up and down.

Thinking about it, the platform capacity could be more efficiently used with an extension of platforms 2 and 3 as well, but it looks like that'd be difficult without taking out a good chunk of the busway.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
How many 4 bedroom houses could be built for the same amount immediately adjacent to a live railway that requires blocking it every time you need to do work, in a few hour chunks at a time, and you get fined for every minute you hand back the railway late?

Corrected that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.