• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge-Stirling, Easter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Right then brain trust, any help available? Looking at travelling up to Stirling from Cambridge on the 10th of April (Good Friday) ideally arriving before 6pm, returning 13th April (Easter Monday) ideally arriving before 9pm. I have a 16-25 railcard, and am happy travelling Standard.

Yes, I should have planned this further in advance. I didn't consider it until the other day when my mother asked me if I was coming up that weekend...

Anyway, cheapest through ticket seems to be a "Super Off-Peak Return" at £73.15. Any benifits to be had from splitting? Two through singles would be more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you were doing a day trip to somewhere like York then yes splitting would help, but in this case I don't think it would.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If you were doing a day trip to somewhere like York then yes splitting would help, but in this case I don't think it would.
Though this might be the case. Incidentally, what splitting saves money to York on a daytrip? I've a mind to go to the NRM at some point (most likely a Saturday, what with work and sailing taking up the other six days).

me123

Established Member
Purchasing Off Peak Day Returns instead of Off Peak Returns. (I won't work out specific combinations, because Cambridge restrictions make my brain frazzle at this time on a Friday night!). But, for example, you already save money (£1.10) with a simple split at Peterborough provided you travel to PBO via Ely.

Splitting at Doncaster and Peterborough comes in at £34.75, compared to £44.10 Saver. (NOTE that this is only available for day returns at weekends)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cambridge - Peterborough (Route Ely) Off Peak Day Return CDR 8.70
Peterborough - York Off Peak Day Return GDR £18.50
Total = £27.20

compared to
Cambridge - York (Route Ely) Off Peak Return £44.10
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Splitting at Doncaster and Peterborough comes in at £34.75, compared to £44.10 Saver. (NOTE that this is only available for day returns at weekends)
No point splitting at Donny, as PBO-YRK is the same price as a PBO-DON GDR!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.