• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge ticket machine overcharging!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleph_0

It's been a while since I visited, but some thoughts:

Travel Centre: There is/was(?) a 'travel centre' to the right of the main entrance to purchase tickets for future travel. I think it's now closed. Could this be reopened, or even reopened fitted with machines at busy times, or is it closed because of the building of the new ticket hall?

Side Gates (by platform 3, and 6(?)): Could be opened/manned exit-only at busy times.

Telephone by Maze Queue: Total waste of space. Install 2-3 card-only machines along this wall.

Outside: Install card-only machines outside, by the travel centre, or somewhere. Indeed, anywhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
The travel centre was open when I passed it last month - there were only a couple of people in there at the time (mid afternoon on a Saturday). There was a long queue in the main ticket hall.

I think there should be a new entrance/exit gateline from Platform 3 (only for ticket holders) considering that the bus stops have been relocated so they are now alongside platform 3.

transmanche

Established Member
Outside: Install card-only machines outside, by the travel centre, or somewhere. Indeed, anywhere.
Absolutely! I haven't been to Cambridge for about ten years and the ticket office was congested then - even off-peak.

I don't imagine much has changed in the five years since this photo was taken, but it looks like there's plenty of room for a few external ticket machines - albeit at the cost of a bench or two.

Cambridge railway station by hugh llewelyn, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.