• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Bristol via Birmingham ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

railrider99

Hi , first post and just wanted to get some advice

When travelling between back from uni to Bristol , I have sometimes used the CrossCountry route , using the Crosscountry service from Cambridge to New Street , and then New Street to Temple Meads,as opposed to travelling via London, as it saves me having to travel across London with bags and stuff (I am aware the route is quite a bit slower)

I was just wondering whether this route would get me into trouble , as I was recently by a friend told that this route is not a valid one and that I could be fined for using this route. I have not had any issues from CrossCountry staff when they have carried out ticket checks , but just wanted to check to be sure

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4COR

Sure other experts would be along to confirm, but the Routing Guide Yellow pages only has "LONDON" as a mapped route, and it's no shorter (or within 3 miles) via Birmingham.

If searching on National Rail for this journey via Birmingham, you need 2 tickets to complete the journey, and it's substantially more expensive (EDIT - see below for cheaper options - singles Cambridge to Birmingham NS and Birmingham NS to Bristol is not the cheapest way!). I would be extremely surprised if there was any situation where it was valid on a normal single "Any Permitted" ticket.

Last edited:

father_jack

Sure other experts would be along to confirm, but the Routing Guide Yellow pages only has "LONDON" as a mapped route, and it's no shorter (or within 3 miles) via Birmingham.

If searching on National Rail for this journey via Birmingham, you need 2 tickets to complete the journey, and it's substantially more expensive. I would be extremely surprised if there was any situation where it was valid on a normal single "Any Permitted" ticket.
Two tickets is correct.

Unless if the direct Bristol TM to Stansted Airport service is reintroduced when a direct train is always a valid route. The ticket will have a cross London dagger mind you. Discussed here https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rare-station-announcements.192049/

Last edited:

Kilopylae

Hi , first post and just wanted to get some advice

When travelling between back from uni to Bristol , I have sometimes used the CrossCountry route , using the Crosscountry service from Cambridge to New Street , and then New Street to Temple Meads,as opposed to travelling via London, as it saves me having to travel across London with bags and stuff (I am aware the route is quite a bit slower)

I was just wondering whether this route would get me into trouble , as I was recently by a friend told that this route is not a valid one and that I could be fined for using this route. I have not had any issues from CrossCountry staff when they have carried out ticket checks , but just wanted to check to be sure
I'm afraid it does sound like you've been getting lucky.

4COR

Unless if the direct Bristol TM to Stansted Airport service is reintroduced when a direct train is alway a valid route.
That's a good point (though the OP indicated (?) they changed at Birmingham). I presume this might be a Covid related change to timetables that this no longer runs - how frequently did direct services run between the two?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That's a good point (though the OP indicated (?) they changed at Birmingham). I presume this might be a Covid related change to timetables that this no longer runs - how frequently did direct services run between the two?

Once per day in one direction only. I think Monday-Friday only.

It was 0610-ish off Temple Meads - so an Anytime fare required.

Nunners

Trainsplit suggests these splits if you haven't bought your ticket yet and want to go via Birmingham:
1606387756191.png

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, the combination of Off Peak tickets via Birmingham is cheaper than a through Super Off Peak ticket.

It therefore makes no sense that it's not a permitted route; indeed I would argue that it should be permitted as it would surely have been deemed "reasonable" under BR. If travelling on a through fare, I would argue that the disputed route procedure should apply.

But if you wish to travel via Birmingham in both directions, your best bet is to use a split ticketing provider such as Trainsplit, so that you obtain a through itinerary and you can obtain seat reservations (Trainsplit will put you in the same seat wherever possible, and you can pick your choice of seat from the seat selector).

JB_B

Established Member
A Cambridge-Newport super offpeak return route:+Any Permitted is valid via Bristol and Birmingham ( it's restriction YW which borrows restriction 2V for travel on cross country so effective time restrictions should be very similar to the split quoted in post #9 ).

That's just £58.80 with a railcard.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A Cambridge-Newport super offpeak return route:+Any Permitted is valid via Bristol and Birmingham ( it's restriction YW which borrows restriction 2V for travel on cross country so effective time restrictions should be very similar to the split quoted in post #9 ).

That's just £58.80 with a railcard.

Wouldn't that require a double-back between Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol TM to be used at Bristol TM?

JB_B

Established Member
Wouldn't that require a double-back between Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol TM to be used at Bristol TM?

It's a mapped route via Bristol Group (on combination AB+WB). Filton Abbey Wood is a Bristol Group member so fortunately that's not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.