Cambridge to Derby via Stevenage

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by emorris, 29 Dec 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emorris

emorris Member

Hi all. I'd look this up myself but don't have a computer available. Is anyone able to find out whether the return portion of a Derby to Cambridge not via London off peak return would be valid via Stevenage? I've briefly read about easement
    700070, however would this be useful in this scenario? Thanks!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. brompton rail

brompton rail Member

Via Stevenage tickets are more expensive than via Ely tickets. Well from Doncaster to Cambridge they are. Anyway Cambridge to Derby via Ely and Leicester (or Nottingham?) is quicker than via Stevenage.

4. emorris

emorris Member

Well my original itinerary was Cambridge, Ely, Nottingham. I can appreciate it taking longer via Stevenage, however it would mean I could travel on a nice HST rather than a Sprinter family. My ticket is 'not via London' rather than 'via Ely' too.

5. brompton rail

brompton rail Member

Permitted routes seem to be via maps NL and CL, both of which are via Ely.

6. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

I'm puzzled. If you can't go via London is it worth the detour to have an HST from Stevenage to Peterborough?

7. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Especially as it's only a 50-50 chance of a HST being there for Stevenage to Peterborough as a Electra aka Class 91 could easily turn up which makes the whole point of getting to Stevenage to board a HST for 30 mins rather pointless.

You be far better off avoiding the longer route via Stevenage and just go direct via Ely.

8. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Spot on. Even getting off at Grantham doesn't really make it worth while making the detour.

9. emorris

emorris Member

OK, so now I'm back at a computer, it does look less realistic, besides, the Routeing Guide won't permit it anyhow.

I did, however, change and do the PBO-GRA leg in both directions on East Coast. Although this did mean having to change an extra 2 times, and the return journey got me to Derby half an hour later*, it was in my opinion worth it, as I didn't have to spend 1hr 45min on a noisy old slow thing.

*I originally would have had an hour's wait in Derby for a bus however, and in all honesty, I'd rather spend an extra half hour on a train than in Derby bus station!

10. 34D

34D Established Member

But the trains used from Ely to both Leicester (class 170s) and to Nottingham (class 158s) are newer than all the trains that EC has :s

11. emorris

emorris Member

And? Intercity 125s/225s are so much nicer/quieter than both 170s and 158s :)

12. calc7

calc7 Established Member

Am I the only person who doesn't notice any difference in "noise" between the different types of stock (or doesn't care enough to notice)?

I am currently on a XC HST (I was expecting a Voyager) - can't say I was particularly overjoyed to see it and it's noisy/squeaky? :s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.