• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Derby via Stevenage

Status
Not open for further replies.

emorris

Hi all. I'd look this up myself but don't have a computer available. Is anyone able to find out whether the return portion of a Derby to Cambridge not via London off peak return would be valid via Stevenage? I've briefly read about easement
700070, however would this be useful in this scenario? Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brompton rail

Via Stevenage tickets are more expensive than via Ely tickets. Well from Doncaster to Cambridge they are. Anyway Cambridge to Derby via Ely and Leicester (or Nottingham?) is quicker than via Stevenage.

emorris

Via Stevenage tickets are more expensive than via Ely tickets. Well from Doncaster to Cambridge they are. Anyway Cambridge to Derby via Ely and Leicester (or Nottingham?) is quicker than via Stevenage.
Well my original itinerary was Cambridge, Ely, Nottingham. I can appreciate it taking longer via Stevenage, however it would mean I could travel on a nice HST rather than a Sprinter family. My ticket is 'not via London' rather than 'via Ely' too.

gazthomas

Established Member
Well my original itinerary was Cambridge, Ely, Nottingham. I can appreciate it taking longer via Stevenage, however it would mean I could travel on a nice HST rather than a Sprinter family. My ticket is 'not via London' rather than 'via Ely' too.
I'm puzzled. If you can't go via London is it worth the detour to have an HST from Stevenage to Peterborough?

Aictos

Established Member
I'm puzzled. If you can't go via London is it worth the detour to have an HST from Stevenage to Peterborough?

Especially as it's only a 50-50 chance of a HST being there for Stevenage to Peterborough as a Electra aka Class 91 could easily turn up which makes the whole point of getting to Stevenage to board a HST for 30 mins rather pointless.

You be far better off avoiding the longer route via Stevenage and just go direct via Ely.

gazthomas

Established Member
Spot on. Even getting off at Grantham doesn't really make it worth while making the detour.

emorris

OK, so now I'm back at a computer, it does look less realistic, besides, the Routeing Guide won't permit it anyhow.

I did, however, change and do the PBO-GRA leg in both directions on East Coast. Although this did mean having to change an extra 2 times, and the return journey got me to Derby half an hour later*, it was in my opinion worth it, as I didn't have to spend 1hr 45min on a noisy old slow thing.

*I originally would have had an hour's wait in Derby for a bus however, and in all honesty, I'd rather spend an extra half hour on a train than in Derby bus station!

34D

Established Member
it was in my opinion worth it, as I didn't have to spend 1hr 45min on a noisy old slow thing.

But the trains used from Ely to both Leicester (class 170s) and to Nottingham (class 158s) are newer than all the trains that EC has :s

emorris

But the trains used from Ely to both Leicester (class 170s) and to Nottingham (class 158s) are newer than all the trains that EC has :s

And? Intercity 125s/225s are so much nicer/quieter than both 170s and 158s :)

calc7

Established Member
Am I the only person who doesn't notice any difference in "noise" between the different types of stock (or doesn't care enough to notice)?

I am currently on a XC HST (I was expecting a Voyager) - can't say I was particularly overjoyed to see it and it's noisy/squeaky? :s

Status
Not open for further replies.