• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Elgin/Nairn

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluealley

I find it very annoying that I want to travel from Cambridge to Elgin and cannot travel until after 9.30 if I want to pay anything close to a reasonably priced fare. Why can't they allow passengers who are travelling such huge distances some leeway. After all, this is set to be a 9/10 hour hate affair, and I would like to start out about 6.30/7am. Late running services on this journey will not be funny.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I find it very annoying that I want to travel from Cambridge to Elgin and cannot travel until after 9.30 if I want to pay anything close to a reasonably priced fare.
I just had a look at the walk-up fares - the Anytime fare is £155.50 and the Off Peak is £150.60 so it's not a huge difference.

Romilly

Established Member
Bluealley, are you able to tell us what dates you have in mind for your outward and return journeys?

Also, please note that the fares given by najaB are one-way fares. If you want flexible return tickets, you are likely to save money by booking Ely-Nairn return, and then singles for Cambridge-Ely and Ely-Cambridge, although you are then committed to travelling via Ely without the option of via Hitchin.

However, the reason for enquiring about your travel dates is that if booking far enough ahead, it may be considerably cheaper to buy the tickets known as "Advance" tickets which are valid only on the train(s) specified when booking (although it may be possible to make changes at a price before departure of the first booked train).

Last edited:

38Cto15E

blueally
I just put a couple of ideas into my PC and came up with this, but it all dpends on your travel dates.
Cambridge 0901-Peterborough 0950 £7.50
Peterbough 1016-Nairn 1921 £70 change York and Aberdeen.
Easy jet and National express
Cambridge 0620- Luton Airport 0755 about £17 Luton 0935-Inverness 1100 Dalcross is close to Nairn so there must be a bus etc £34. These are for May 2nd but should give you some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.