• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Liv St

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi,

I'm a Y-P holder and would like to make a single journey from Cambridge to London Liverpool St in the morning peak.

I'm assuming the usual ticket for this is SDS ANYTIME DAY S GRT ANG TRNSONLY to London Terminals, which is £12.55 with the railcard.

Whilst browsing brfares.com I found this

http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LST&dest=CBG&grpo=1072&rlc=YNG&rte=20&ldn=0&tkt=CBA

CBA SUP OFFPK DAY R GRT ANG TRNSONLY from London Terminals to Cambridge. I don't know anything about restriction codes, but the website says D4 Return travel by any train.

Does that mean I can buy the reverse super offpeak return and just use the return part to travel in the morning peak, or am I missing something obvious here?

Also, if such a ticket is valid, and the ticket office at the origin station is closed, and the TVM won't sell a ticket starting from another station, I assume I can board the train with no ticket and buy at the earliest available opportunity?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
No the Super Off Peak ticket is not valid until 0845 from London, where the restriction explains return by any train, this means you can travel back via any train, after 0845.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The Fares and Revenue Protection Manual tells rail staff not to accept the return portion of a ticket until the outward journey could have been completed.

Established Member
From my experience the Super Off-Peak tickets are only available on weekends and bank holidays on both lines from Cambridge to London, so you wouldn't have been able to buy one anyway I'd imagine.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
From my experience the Super Off-Peak tickets are only available on weekends and bank holidays on both lines from Cambridge to London, so you wouldn't have been able to buy one anyway I'd imagine.

They were still the case in NFM11.

Greater Anglia changed its fares structure with the release of NFM12, and the CBA fares are now available on weekdays, too.

That said, there seems to be some data missing in The Manual. The restriction code D4 cannot be found, neither can the restriction code for the reverse direction, D6. These are also missing from the pdf containing all restriction codes on the National Rail website.

jkdd77

The Fares and Revenue Protection Manual tells rail staff not to accept the return portion of a ticket until the outward journey could have been completed.

This is not mentioned in the T&Cs, the NRCoC, on any official website, or in any other publicly available literature, so it is debatable whether a "top secret" condition is legally enforceable.

It might be "common sense" that the return portion cannot be used before the outward portion could have validly been used, but since when did rail ticketing have anything whatsoever to do with common sense?

However, having said that, I would not want to be the one prosecuted for fare evasion and find myself having to argue this point before a cynical bench of magistrates.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I'm a Y-P holder and would like to make a single journey from Cambridge to London Liverpool St in the morning peak.
Note that a £12 minimum fare applies to Y-P discounted fares used for travel before 10am Monday-Friday (except in July and August).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This isn't a p[roblem when the dicounted fare, as mentioned, is £12.55!

Status
Not open for further replies.