• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Manchester: FCC Complimentary tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,
Just wondering what the situation is here..
I am going down to Cambridge for an interview at the uni, and am travelling down on the Wednesday night. From Trafford park at 1720 then via London. I'm just buying a ticket to Euston to use one of my FCC Complimentary tickets that I got. That's all fine.
Just coming home, if I buy my ticket from Euston to Manchester as an Advance purchase, and use one of my complimentary ones on FCC - If something drastically bad happens to FCC and they don't run for hours, do I have a leg to stand on if I miss my Euston train?
I'm going to plan to leave plenty of time etc but just wondering what will happen if there are hours of delays. I'm assuming I would have to buy a new ticket from Euston then?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No. Just because it's a free ticket doesn't invalidate the NRCoC. As long as you aim to get a train that leaves at least the minimum connection time between Kings Cross and Euston then you will be fine. If there are problems, it would be useful to get FCC to endorse their ticket confirming that your train was cancelled/severely delayed, but not essential. Just go to the ticket office at Euston and they will sort things out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
f something drastically bad happens to FCC and they don't run for hours, do I have a leg to stand on if I miss my Euston train?
I'm going to plan to leave plenty of time etc but just wondering what will happen if there are hours of delays. I'm assuming I would have to buy a new ticket from Euston then?
No, you would not have to buy a new ticket. See Advance Fares FAQs

Oh brilliant - thanks guys!
Just to check I'm ok in all the rules walking from Kgx to Eus? And before I leave Cambridge shall I get an itinerary printed by the ticket office perhaps?

John @ home

Established Member
Just to check I'm ok in all the rules walking from Kgx to Eus?
You may choose to walk from Kings X to Euston, but you need to travel on a train which is scheduled to arrive in Kings X at least 35 minutes earlier than the scheduled departure time of your Advance ticket from Euston. See pages 43-44 of the Introduction to the current National Rail Timetable.
And before I leave Cambridge shall I get an itinerary printed by the ticket office perhaps?
There is no necessity to carry a travel itinerary, but by all means take one if it gives you reassurance. I sometimes carry one when travelling by a valid, but unusual, route.

You don't need to obtain one from a ticket office. I find printing one generated by an online journey planner is satisfactory.

Brilliant help, thanks everyone.
Just to check how do I get a ticket endorsed? Just something the ticket office at Cambridge would sort out?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Brilliant help, thanks everyone.
Just to check how do I get a ticket endorsed? Just something the ticket office at Cambridge would sort out?

The 'endorsement' is simply a note explaining the delay to the service: it could be done by staff on the train or at Kings Cross station. It is not necessary to get this done, but it can help to make things go more smoothly (it saves staff at Euston checking train running information for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.