• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge-Whistable return

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Headed to Whistable for a few days. Planning to do the simple route of Cambridge-Kings Cross (walk) St Pancras - Whistable (high speed). Travelling after 10am on weekdays in both directions with a Network Rail Card. Any saving (on this route) on £31.90 Off Peak Return?

(planned itinerary on way down doesn't show in journey planners- 1017 CBG-KGX and 1125 STP-WHI. 17 minutes is plenty of time for the change in reality!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Southeastern is running a summer offer (aka 'Summer hidden gems') with a £10 day return fare from London to selected Kent destinations including Whitstable.

You do need to purchase it by 6pm the day before travel, and your outbound train has to depart between 10am and 2pm, return after 2pm. Also no break of journey. No further Railcard discount.

Anyway a £10 return plus £16.25 (with Railcard) for an Off-Peak Day Return from Cambridge to Kings Cross makes a grand total of £26.25, so a saving of a fiver.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
17 minutes isn't enough time for an official connection between Kings Cross and St Pancras which is why a journey planner won't show your itinerary. In reality it's plenty of time if you know where you're going etc. and if you have a flexible ticket then there's nothing to stop you from making the unofficial connection.

The official interchange time between the two stations is 30 minutes (for domestic services) as this has to allow for passengers who maybe unfamiliar with the layout, passengers having to walk from the far end of platform zero, laden with luggage, waiting for the traffic lights on Pancras Road to change (rather than just walking across when there's a gap in the traffic) etc.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Oh, I'm well aware of the reasons for the length of the official change- and that there's little chance of the platform shown on RTT being right this far out, especially at King's Cross! (for what it's worth it claims 11)

amateur

On Moderation
is there an NSE easement on the 09:50am departure from Cambridge to KGX? If not, Is is ever likely to happen?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
is there an NSE easement on the 09:50am departure from Cambridge to KGX? If not, Is is ever likely to happen?

Not that I'm aware of and I doubt very much one will be introduced.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Nope.

Presumably the addition of any further easements to the Network Railcard list is up to the relevant TOC (so in this case everyone's favourite train operator GTR).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think all the pre-10am easements that allow travel to London arrive there after 11am.

meanwhile: no actual suggestions? It's OK if there aren't, I was just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.