• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camcorder recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'm in the market for a new video camera due to my current cam's appalling low light performance and very noisy mic as illustrated here.

[youtube]XU5QS8fl7uA[/youtube]

Can anyone suggest any HD camcorders for around the £200 mark, I primarily use indoors with some rail videoing

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Anything made by Sony should be reasonably high quality, but I doubt you'd get a new one for the sort of price you're aiming at unless it was secondhand?

Teaboy1

Would propose that you trawl through eBay and see whats going on the cheap.......but usually cheap for a reason. Any of the big 4 makes would be suitable but expect an old cronk for £200! If your budget could extend to maybe 400 then you should get a pretty good camera. The Samsung recording onto Mini DVD should be within your budget and have reasonable low light performance. Research though some comparison sites for best low light use, try CamCorder Reviews in Google for starters.
Basic rule of thumb for ANYcamcorder........the mini mic's are crappy, they pick up wind noise so easy but not as bad as your Ratty Video.......is there a bloke drilling next door through wall??
For proper sound recording you MUST have a remote stereo video mic with a dead kitty and/or stick that insulates the pick-up from the camera body. I use a free mic on a 4 meter cable, that way I can position mic next to subject and video some +4m away, result is only subject sound is recorded and all other unwanted sounds avoided.
HTH

stuartmoss

As a bit of a Camcorder buff I'd say that for £200 you're not going to get anything capable of nearly half decent quality by today's HD standards. I've had JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Canon, and the only one near the £200 mark was JVC but the quality is nothing compared to a good Canon one. If you can afford to wait and save I'd recommend a Canon Legria HFS200. I paid £900 for mine, but the price has now dropped to around £500. Hope that helps.

Teaboy1

I am in no way connected nor have any vested interest in this item nor do I know if its "hot" but its worth looking at for the spec and amount of camera-per-buck one can obtain from the bay!!

Search item # 140480102072

Got to be worth a punt!! Collect in person if you feel unsure of ever seeing your goods.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep ........you missed a good 'un there matey.........£180.53........wished I'd have been in the market for a HD camcorder!!

starrymarkb

Established Member
.the mini mic's are crappy, they pick up wind noise so easy but not as bad as your Ratty Video.......is there a bloke drilling next door through wall??

Nope, was a quiet room! That noise is being introduced by the camera!

I know I shouldn't have expected much for £110 so will get saving!

starrymarkb

Established Member
What do you think of this one?

I'm very tempted!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've bought the Sanyo and tried it on the Ratties in similar light to the video in the OP

[youtube]qrInrs7oKKU[/youtube]

Has made quite a difference!

Thank you!

Teaboy1

Thats much more like it.......indoors......but wait until you try outside on a windy day!! Thats when the mic limitations show up on any camcorder, the row that they pick up is terrible and spoils many many videos.
Another point is the amount of drivel one picks up while shooting from Joe Public and you can guarantee that you wait for hours for a shot only for a car / tractor / bus / helicopter / aircraft to drown out your sound when you finally open the shutter at the critical moment.
Nice rats.......whats the girl fiend say to em gnawing away ? Not my first choice of pet but hey, dogs cr@p all over the place an barkin' mad!! Mi ferret would luv 'em!!

Let all know when you post a video, interested in how you fare, can't be worse than my tosh so dont hang back !!! :)

starrymarkb

Established Member
[youtube]z3R-HVqT5Po[/youtube]

Well given where I was shooting I don't think the camera did too badly, especially given the exposed location!

For the size of my flat the Rats are a good fit, they don't gnaw that much (giving them dry pasta with their dinner helps there ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.