• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camden Town and Northern line separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUYMun

I'd say to keep the High Barnet branch called the Northern line (Mill Hill East was the Northern Heights plan, after all)
Despite the High Barnet-Morden route having the most number of stations south of the Thames...
Perhaps vice versa would work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Railing against the penchant for naming everything after monarchs, maybe the Republican Line for the Morden leg? After all, Robert Lindsay's first major acting job was to proclaim the People's Republic of Tooting in the 1970s tv series 'Citizen Smith' ! :)

whoosh

Established Member
Railing against the penchant for naming everything after monarchs, maybe the Republican Line for the Morden leg? After all, Robert Lindsay's first major acting job was to proclaim the People's Republic of Tooting in the 1970s tv series 'Citizen Smith' ! :)

The Citi-zen Smith London Line
The City & South London Line

Citizen Smith London Line it is then!

LUYMun

Delete if this is off-topic, but if the Northern line extension brings more demand for the out-of-station interchange to Battersea Park, would the parliamentary London Overground service be improved to have additional trains to Battersea Park?

rebmcr

Established Member
Delete if this is off-topic, but if the Northern line extension brings more demand for the out-of-station interchange to Battersea Park, would the parliamentary London Overground service be improved to have additional trains to Battersea Park?
Battersea Park might see an uplift independently of the Northern Line — Clapham Junction lacks the terminating capacity for the eventual service frequency on the South London Line.

Domh245

Established Member
Battersea Park might see an uplift independently of the Northern Line — Clapham Junction lacks the terminating capacity for the eventual service frequency on the South London Line.

I thought the plan for that was to move (some of?) the WLL services over to platforms 16/17

Recessio

I'm also wary of veering off topic, but I wonder if the CLJ rebuild (which might be delayed/altered for Crossrail 2 delay) would increase capacity.

Back on topic of the Northern line, would they keep either half as the Northern, or scrap the name and have two new ones? The East London Line might be the name of the route, but in all public-facing respects, it's just "Overground".

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm also wary of veering off topic, but I wonder if the CLJ rebuild (which might be delayed/altered for Crossrail 2 delay) would increase capacity.

Crossrail 2 didn’t trigger a rebuild of Clapham Junction at track level. The often considered major rebuild is on the very back of the back burners. That doesn’t mean that more Overground services can’t be fit in another way.

SynthD

I thought Clapham Junction management was taken over by Network Rail in 2018 because something was due to happen soon.

More services to Battersea Park are expected, it may have been funded to open at the same time as the power station station.

Recessio

What about "Hampstead & City"? Nod to the old Hampstead tube, keeps the penchant for "X & City" lines.

Although I guess it's very similar to Hammersmith & City, might confuse tourists...

Mikey C

Established Member
What about "Hampstead & City"? Nod to the old Hampstead tube, keeps the penchant for "X & City" lines.

Although I guess it's very similar to Hammersmith & City, might confuse tourists...
The Hampstead branch will go the other way though central London though!

317 forever

Established Member
And when passengers return, less complaints about "but I've lost my direct tube service, now I have to change!"
Bakerloo Line passengers eventually got used to changing onto the Jubilee Line for Stanmore branch destinations. They would potentially get used to the Northern Line segregation too.

PTR 444

Established Member
How about keeping the ‘Northern’ name for the Charing Cross branch but renaming the Bank branch to ‘Edgware & City’? After all, it’s the latter that goes the furthest south.

Dstock7080

Established Member
How about keeping the ‘Northern’ name for the Charing Cross branch but renaming the Bank branch to ‘Edgware & City’? After all, it’s the latter that goes the furthest south.
Edgware trains will run via Charing Cross to Battersea.

kwrail

It will be something relating to the monarchy. It always is. Just look at the names for the two new aircraft carriers. The Fleet Line became the Jubilee Line (which to be fair is a better name) and Crossrail became the Elizabeth Line (completely unnecessary change).

So it will probably get called the Charles line

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will be something relating to the monarchy. It always is. Just look at the names for the two new aircraft carriers. The Fleet Line became the Jubilee Line (which to be fair is a better name) and Crossrail became the Elizabeth Line (completely unnecessary change).

So it will probably get called the Charles line

I must have missed Prince Hammersmith & City.

whoosh

Established Member
How about The Pet Shop Boys Line?

Battersea Dogs home- bit like a pet shop.

Goes through the West End. Girls.

Isn't Edgware In Suburbia?

"Many Londonders and rail enthusiasts when asked about their opinion of the renaming of the line after the 80s pop sensation duo, exclaimed, "It's a Sin."

/coat

Where does the Pet Shop Boys Line go?

Every place I’ve ever been
Everywhere I’m going to.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member

"Many Londonders and rail enthusiasts when asked about their opinion of the renaming of the line after the 80s pop sensation duo, exclaimed, "It's a Sin."

/coat

Where does the Pet Shop Line go?

Everywhere I’m going to.
I would have put them down as more Metropolitan Line people, as it enables them to Go West :D

plymothian

/coat

Where does the Pet Shop Boys Line go?

Everywhere I’m going to.

I would have put them down as more Metropolitan Line people, as it enables them to Go West :D

Johnson will probably see it as an Opprtunity (lets make lots of money) to put it out to sponsorship. Se a vida e with his blaming Khan for bankrupting TfL.

Oh, What have I done to deserve this?

Mikey C

Established Member
Johnson will probably see it as an Opprtunity (lets make lots of money) to put it out to sponsorship. Se a vida e with his blaming Khan for bankrupting TfL.

Oh, What have I done to deserve this?
When Bob Kiley was brought in from America to help run TfL (and its predecessor) was he greeted with New York City Boy...

waverley47

Passing unnoticed last night/this morning the first train ran through the new Battersea extension. Good to see progress being made on this stretch.

Given both this and the Bank station upgrade that is currently progressing, are we any closer to the signing off of the full separation project?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Passing unnoticed last night/this morning the first train ran through the new Battersea extension. Good to see progress being made on this stretch.

Given both this and the Bank station upgrade that is currently progressing, are we any closer to the signing off of the full separation project?
first 1995 Stock train operated to Battersea on 19 December and much testing has taken place during Christmas holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.