• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camera Advice (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi,

I'm also seeking camera advice. Cameras are something I know very little about, nor are they something I use often, but when I do use them I can be quite impatient:roll:

I already have a Canon Ixus 750IS Digital Compact camera but it has some limits that often irritate me:
  • Copes badly with poor light, especially artificial lighting indoors
  • Takes a long time to think between shots, especially when it has to recharge the flash.
  • Doesn't zoom in far enough

I'm wondering whether to get a DSLR or "DSLR-style" camera. It wouldn't be to carry around all the time, but for when I specifically plan in advance that I want to take pictures. (Which won't be of rolling stock)

All of my friends who are into photography have recommended cameras that are beyond my price range. I've heard good things about about Canon and Nikon, and a good friend recommends a Pentax as they're cheaper but still good. My work colleague thinks I'll get a better deal if I get a second hand camera from Gumtree or similar, but I find the lack of warranty a bit unnerving. I can travel anywhere in Zones 1-6 to buy it in person if needs be.

Don't mind paying a bit more if I get a noticable increase in picture quality/ease of use but as I'm only an occasional user. I don't want to go overboard. Budget is probably around the £300 - £350 mark tops, all in.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d429uk

gazthomas

Established Member
Canon EOS 1100D is a good entry level APS-C SLR. Slightly lower megapixels than the Nikon but the megapixels shouldn't be your biggest priority - speed, image quality and light sensitivity are key.

£280 with 18-55mm lens on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-1100D-Digital-Camera-3-5-5-6/dp/B004MPQXZA

If you don't mind second hand take a look at the prices for Canon EOS 400d through to 600d on ebay.

Nym

Established Member
On the 2nd hand market at the moment I'd recomend a Canon 60D or 550D from CEX the former being a prefered option, but it might stretch your budget slightly. But it's worlds better than the 1100D, kinda on a par with the 650D or 700D...

I honestly would NOT recomend the 1100D, you'd be better off buying a Compact System Camera of mid to high end bridge...

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
Bear in mind that entry level DSLR's only usually ship with an 18-55mm lens, thereby not really helping you with the zoom issue without buying a longer lens, I can thoroughly recommend the D3100, but with the above caveat.

With your budget, and bearing in mind that you're more of a casual user, I'd suggest something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597147.htm, gives you some change for a case, memory card etc too.

Nym

Established Member
Bear in mind that entry level DSLR's only usually ship with an 18-55mm lens, thereby not really helping you with the zoom issue without buying a longer lens, I can thoroughly recommend the D3100, but with the above caveat.

With your budget, and bearing in mind that you're more of a casual user, I'd suggest something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597147.htm, gives you some change for a case, memory card etc too.

+1 on the recomendation of the bridge and purchase of accessories.

If you're desprate for insane zoom, you'll really need to get lucky on the 2nd hand market...

455driver

Veteran Member
Or if you want a proper viewfinder as well as a screen then the fuji finepix range of bridge cameras are worth a look.

wensley

Established Member
On the 2nd hand market at the moment I'd recomend a Canon 60D or 550D from CEX the former being a prefered option...

The 60D is a very nice camera, so nice I've hung onto mine when I upgraded to a 5D MkIII, it performs well in most conditions and still produced satisfying results with an 18-55mm kit lens when I first bought it! Not too complicated (it was my first DSLR)...I can't think of any major negatives :)

Bevan Price

Established Member
Don't buy a 2nd hand digital camera without checking the image quality. Even tiny specks of dust on the sensor can register as dark blotches on the image, and some sensors can be difficult to clean without paying some expert to do it for you.

If you buy a DSLR, try to afford something like a wide range zoom lens, say 18-200mm or 18-250mm, as this lessens the need to change lenses. Each time you change a lens, there is a possibility of letting dust get onto the sensor. Although maybe not as optically good as a fixed focal length lens, the image quality is more than adequate for most purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.