• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camera Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexf380

Established Member
Afternoon. I hope social distancing isn't taking too much of a toll on you.
I was looking through my old photos from previous trips the other day and I have come to the conclusion that whilst my camera phone produces fine quality photos, I think I'd like to start using a proper camera. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you guys use when you're out on your trips?
I should add I'm not looking for a hefty DSLR camera, just something simple that doesn't take up too much room and that isn't going to break the bank.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I was looking through my old photos from previous trips the other day and I have come to the conclusion that whilst my camera phone produces fine quality photos, I think I'd like to start using a proper camera. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you guys use when you're out on your trips?
I should add I'm not looking for a hefty DSLR camera, just something simple that doesn't take up too much room and that isn't going to break the bank.

I recently invested in a Nikon Coolpix B500 which cost me £219.99 which came as part of a kit from Argos, including a couple of accessories, a bag and an SD card, as my previous Nikon, after four years, gave up the ghost after I accidentally dropped it while trying to do to many things at once in the middle of Hamburg!

It's a smart little thing, and gives good clear images, and I've gradually been learning the more complex features and manual settings as I've gone along. The video it takes is decent too, and I've been happily using it to film content for one of my final uni projects. It's no DSLR or TV camera, but it does the job very well.

It also comes with inbuilt WiFi which means that it can connect to your phone via an app, enabling you to quickly upload photos online as you go without the SD card ever having to leave the camera. As an upgrade for me anyway, I was very impressed with it.

Here's an example photo taken with it:

Class 156, Loch Awe by Richard Green, on Flickr

Argos still do the bundle, though you'll obviously have to wait until they reopen to collect it: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7360468

Bevan Price

Established Member
DSLRs are not all massive, and Canon, Nikon & others make some good mid-price range cameras. Personally, I find it easier to keep a SLR steady when taking photos, rather than a small lightweight camera (or phone camera).

bspahh

Established Member
I've got a Panasonic TZ100 which has a reasonable balance of automatic features and manual controls. It costs £349 from https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/

Its reasonably compact, and charges from a micro USB lead, which helps to reduce clutter when travelling. It has a nice feature where you can take a 1 second video, where you can then retrieve a still image later on. There are different modes for this - one is good for picking up fast moving scene. Another tries different focus settings, which is good if you want to pick out one person in focus from a crowd. Another has different exposure settings.

There is a basic electronic viewfinder, a 10x optical zoom lens. You can also focus on something in a scene by pointing at it on the screen.

alexf380

Established Member
Thanks for the replies folks, I'll bear those recommendations in mind. I'm also intrigued by the Canon Powershot range, if anyone has any experiences, good or bad!

cactustwirly

Established Member

Tbh, you're not going to get a huge improvement in image quality, from your smartphone (unless you have a really old/cheap one) unless you go for a DSLR.
They aren't that much more expensive, mine was £200 ebay. It has a fully automatic mode which is decent, but the manual modes are really good, once you get the hang of using it.

Here are some pics for you to comapare with Richard's

DSC_0031 by litecactus, on Flickr

Cardiff Central at night by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0659 by litecactus, on Flickr

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
So your choice will depend on at least the following;

Budget
What you want to take photos of
Portability
Ease of use
Features
Whether you want interchangeable lenses or not (e.g. wide angle, telephoto, zoom) Many compact digital cameras use digital zoom which degrades image quality
Wifi capability
What sort of picture quality you are after

3ECO

Good evening everyone. A good camera is not always necessary in my honest opinion. And 'good' is often a matter of opinion. Personally I am a fan of Leica M but I could show you a ton of pictures that are not worth 1/1000 of the cost of a Leica M system. Why ? simply because there are different good cameras for different types of shots. If you look at some blurry pictures of D-Day from Frank Kappa you may be disappointed despite the fact he had good equipment. What matters most is not the camera, it is how to take the shot and what emotion you are trying to covey with your picture.

Another thing to bear in mind is to always shoot RAW, always. Unless you are using an iPhone of course, which itself can take great pictures nevertheless by the way.
You will have to have the right exposure and speed and take a decent shot to start with but the magic will then happen outside the camera, when using software such as Lightroom to enhance your picture. This will make a huge difference in the final rendering. As an illustration, the shot below I took in 2017 when on the Crossrail Project was with a Leica M240 - 35mm f1.4 Summilux FLE lens - a pro & very expensive combo.

BUT what makes the picture what it is in reality is not the Leica (except for someone with lots of experience with what to look for) it is the shot composition, the fact that I had plenty of time to think about it, that I used a tripod due to low light conditions and shooting RAW for enhancement into Lightroom later on. You are seeing the final product here. Trust me you don't want to see the RAW picture :)

There are other examples of processed RAW pictures from this project on our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/3_eco_ltd if you want to see what is possible to achieve. Having said that, you can achieve close to the same results with a much more affordable camera the like of Sony a7 for a fraction of the price of a Leica.

The Leica M is good with static and composed images and it is very rewarding. But it is a demanding instrument. For no nonsense options at a reasonable price you should visit https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/. It is very informative, Steve has tested numerous options and his reviews are both really cool and informative. Hope it helps. (This is not an affiliate link, I am not getting any benefit from sending you towards Steve's site just to be clear).

1class 66_Crossrail.png.jpg

_toommm_

Established Member
If you don't mind buying second-hand, I would recommend using mpb.com - I've used them quite a few times with (in my opinion) decent pricing, and they're very generous with their grading (I bought a camera as 'used' and it had only one scuff on the corner which was barely noticeable).

py_megapixel

Established Member
If you're looking at point-and-shoot type cameras then firstly beware that you will not get a massive quality improvement over a smartphone, but secondly that some models have a delay of up to a few seconds between when you press the shutter button and when the image is actually taken. This quickly becomes infuriating, especially if you want pictures of passing trains (as opposed to stopped ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.