• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper delay and impact on missed connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatgav

Hoping someone can advise. I’m on the sleeper from Inverness tonight which is going to be majorly delayed and I’m probably going to miss my train from London to Nottingham.

I have an advance 1st single from STP to NOT departing at 0934. If I miss that, will I be allowed on the next train with my original ticket or will I have to buy another and try to claim back?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Hoping someone can advise. I’m on the sleeper from Inverness tonight which is going to be majorly delayed and I’m probably going to miss my train from London to Nottingham.

I have an advance 1st single from STP to NOT departing at 0934. If I miss that, will I be allowed on the next train with my original ticket or will I have to buy another and try to claim back?
You can go on the next one, providing it's run by the same operator (which, in this case, they all are). Must be very late if you are concerned about that - often the Highlander will make up lots of time if it's late.

phatgav

You can go on the next one, providing it's run by the same operator (which, in this case, they all are). Must be very late if you are concerned about that - often the Highlander will make up lots of time if it's late.

big signalling issues at Inverness and a diversion via Aberdeen suggests that I will be very late getting in to Euston. So I can just use my advance ticket from STP to NOT on the first train from STP stating my train into Euston was severely delayed?

alistairlees

Established Member
big signalling issues at Inverness and a diversion via Aberdeen suggests that I will be very late getting in to Euston. So I can just use my advance ticket from STP to NOT on the first train from STP stating my train into Euston was severely delayed?
Yes. Always nice to mention it to the guard, but it's not your fault.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes you can travel on a later train from STP; it all counts as one journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it is really, really late, couldn't you bale-out at Crewe and travel to Nottm via Derby?
There is no automatic right to do this; it would be at EMR's discretion.

As the ticket to Nottingham is an EMR restricted ticket, and it is feasible to get from Crewe to Nottingham entirely on EMR, they may well grant permission, and have nothing to lose by doing so.

However it is unclear if the passenger wants to be up at the crack of dawn and alight early at Crewe.

Haywain

Veteran Member
However it is unclear if the passenger wants to be up at the crack of dawn and alight early at Crewe.
It's far from clear that it would be necessary to be up at the crack of dawn!

paddington

Looks like it departed 135L but RTT predicts only 18L arrival at Crewe - which would still be in complete darkness at that time.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks like it departed 135L but RTT predicts only 18L arrival at Crewe - which would still be in complete darkness at that time.

It also predicts 3 minutes at Edinburgh!
I think those times might be being dictated by the Fort William portion, which will presumably have to wait at Edinburgh for the Inverness portion to arrive.

phatgav

Thanks for your help guys. Decided to sleep in and expected EUS about 115 late. Steward told me they will arrange acceptance with EMR, but we’ll see if anyone actually does phone ahead!

hkstudent

Established Member
Thanks for your help guys. Decided to sleep in and expected EUS about 115 late. Steward told me they will arrange acceptance with EMR, but we’ll see if anyone actually does phone ahead!
It should be all fine.
For the delay repay claim, you can include both tickets for delay repay claim as both counted as one journey.

akm

I see you arrived Euston 5 minutes after your planned departure, bit annoying. Did they arrange acceptance like they said?

hkstudent

Established Member
For your travel next time, I would suggest you buy the ticket of 0834 to Nottingham, as it will get you to Nottingham earlier, and that's still within valid connection time.

However, I notice that if you include your Nottingham leg ticket, the delay may drop from 112 minutes to 59 minutes (1114 arr and 1213 arr), which may cause you to claim less in total. (Different pay % for 30-59 delay and 60-119 delay).

Though I don't think Caledonian Sleeper would be so mean for just 1 minute short for delay repay.

A Challenge

Established Member
However, I notice that if you include your Nottingham leg ticket, the delay may drop from 112 minutes to 59 minutes (1114 arr and 1213 arr), which may cause you to claim less in total. (Different pay % for 30-59 delay and 60-119 delay).
It actually arrived 8 late, at 12:23, according to RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.