• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Campaign to open Shakespeare Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

From the Oxford Times

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9130861.Bard_rail_route_bid_nears_cash_target/

Sounds good to me. Although I suspect that Oxford City & County Councils secretly prefer the £24 a day (£27 at weekends to discourage shoppers) that drivers pay to park in the city centre.

Sounds like a good idea, but the track bed just south of Stratford station has been built on, the Evesham Road level crossing was done away with and a new road scheme laid in it's place quite some time ago. It could be very difficult making a new connection into the town from Long Marston because of this.

;)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It would be equally beneficial to Stratford upon Avon too. As a major tourist attraction, Stratford upon Avon is woefully under served by the railway.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It will also allow people from the SW and S.Wales to get to Stratford much easier by going via Worcester/Honeybourne - no going through Birmingham!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
True, but how many people actually make that journey? There is a significant demand for a decent London - Stratford service as far as I am concerned. The half hearted treatment it gets at the moment is a shame. Stratford upon Avon is the home town of one of the most globally famous people who ever lived. It's Ye Olde England and it should be one of the most visited destinations in the country.
It doesn't do badly for tourists, Americans and Chinese people flock to the place but so many more people would go if the infrastructure was better. Given that most international tourists base themselves in London and travel out of the capital on day trips or short breaks then there is a market for a good railway line. If people can go to Oxford in the morning and Stratford in the afternoon, maybe catch a play by the Bard in the evening and be back in London before bedtime then they will. They should be able to already and it is almost a tragedy* that they are unable to.

*see what I did there? ;)

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, it is an excellent idea. It also improves the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire Railway's case for a service from Cheltenham to Stratford, or at least to Honeybourne. If I were a foreign tourist travelling around England, and had the chance to visit Stratford and Oxford on the same day, plus a steam-hauled trip up from Cheltenham, then I would take it.

Welshman

Established Member
It doesn't do badly for tourists, Americans and Chinese people flock to the place but so many more people would go if the infrastructure was better. Given that most international tourists base themselves in London and travel out of the capital on day trips or short breaks then there is a market for a good railway line. If people can go to Oxford in the morning and Stratford in the afternoon, maybe catch a play by the Bard in the evening and be back in London before bedtime then they will. They should be able to already and it is almost a tragedy* that they are unable to.

*see what I did there? ;)

And if this does come about, would it be a case of "All's well that ends well"?
:) :) [sorry]

Jollycam

I was only thinking today how tourists were better served when Stratford trains went via Oxford, though I think there is more benefit having trains run via Warwick than coming from Long Marston as it adds in another tourist destination. Such a route really could be marketed well if you also included a stop at Slough (for Windsor).

If they ever did open the line from Stratford to Honeybourne, I hope they'd reduce the present ticket price!

TicketMan

Sounds like a good idea, but the track bed just south of Stratford station has been built on, the Evesham Road level crossing was done away with and a new road scheme laid in it's place quite some time ago. It could be very difficult making a new connection into the town from Long Marston because of this.

;)

About a mile or so of the trackbed beyond Stratford station has been built on - most of the route as far as Long Marston is now a cycle track/footpath.

I seem to recall a study was done a few years back identifying a route through Stratford, but I can't find anything now.

I think it more likely that trains would be routed via Leamington/Warwick as suggested in the news item, although I suspect Chiltern may have objections to this if FGW were to muscle in.

Regarding Honeybourne, I don't beleive this is (or ever was) a spur from the Oxford direction towards Stratford/Long Marston - so a new alignment would need to be identified. However this would rule out Honeybourne as a stop so a reversal via the existing spur from the Evesham end is more likely.

Thinking further, perhaps a better (and much cheaper) solution would be better marketing of the existing service - Oxford-Stratford can be done with a change at Leamington in around 1h 40m, I can't imagine it would be much quicker via Honeybourne (Oxford-Honeybourne 50-55 minutes currently). Admittedly based on the current timetable a morning in Oxford/afternoon in Stratford scenario is pushing it, however.

Thinking further ahead (here I go again), if the GWR ever do reach Broadway (notwithstanding their current infrastructure problems), that would put them within a stone's (lump of ballast?) throw from Honeybourne - perhaps one day through trains may link Stratford and (almost) Cheltenham again?

Sorry - bit rambly I know - should think before I start typing instead of going off in tangents mid sentence :lol:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Honeybourne used to be a massive junction, the only movement you couldnt do was Broadway to Oxford and v.v. The alignments of all the chords are easily identifiable on Googlemaps.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Honeybourne used to be a massive junction, the only movement you couldnt do was Broadway to Oxford and v.v. The alignments of all the chords are easily identifiable on Googlemaps.
Yeah, was is a beast of a junction, considering it's in the middle of the countryside. The lack of Cheltenham/Broadway-Oxford movements probably didn't matter back in the days pre-beeching as there was the old Cheltenham & Banbury direct railway which also had a junction with the Cotswold line. Slowly but surely it seems that the junction at Honeybourne is being returned to it's former glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.