• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Campaign to restore passenger services on the Middlewich Link Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
I've just had a look at that report. I'm sure the consultants know their stuff, but I can't say I agree with all the costings in it - as I understand it, they say a station could be built at Middlewich for £0.6m, and it also seems to allow very little for track upgrades. I would also question the assessment that a Crewe-Northwich shuttle would generate almost as much demand as a through service to Altrincham or Manchester - 200,000 passengers per year is a pretty busy station in the North in 2008 - can that really be achieved with an hourly shuttle not offering connections at Northwich? Hopefully a good case can be out together for Middlewich but I would put the BCR of 5 in the optimistic bracket.

My impression is that the costs are grossly understated and the usership significantly overestimated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
How many spare paths through Crewe are there that would be available for such a service?
LNWR obviously think there is one an hour as they want to extend a Crewe terminator to the airport. I doubt there would be another on top of that and I also suspect they wouldn't want to go to Northwich either.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
LNWR obviously think there is one an hour as they want to extend a Crewe terminator to the airport. I doubt there would be another on top of that and I also suspect they wouldn't want to go to Northwich either.
Well if the Mid-Chesire airport link is built and the line electrified like it was supposed to be during this period from 2019 - 2024, it could go via Middlewich.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

What are the spare paths availability for LNWR to extend their Crewe terminator to Manchester Airport via Wilmslow. This would not need a new line from the mid-Cheshire line being constructed, but would use existing routes.

Kettledrum

My impression is that the costs are grossly understated and the usership significantly overestimated.

That would be unusual for recent rail re-openings or rail developments in recent years.

- Yes, costs are often understated and projects end up being so much more expensive

BUT - passenger numbers often are significantly understated

The Planner

Veteran Member
What are the spare paths availability for LNWR to extend their Crewe terminator to Manchester Airport via Wilmslow. This would not need a new line from the mid-Cheshire line being constructed, but would use existing routes.
Like I said, if there wasn't a path there then LNWR wouldn't be considering it. The northbound terminator at xx.33 ish could probably follow the TfW up towards Manchester without a lot of problems. In the other direction it would need to be infront of the Northern stopper to keep its original path off Crewe around xx.01

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Like I said, if there wasn't a path there then LNWR wouldn't be considering it. The northbound terminator at xx.33 ish could probably follow the TfW up towards Manchester without a lot of problems. In the other direction it would need to be infront of the Northern stopper to keep its original path off Crewe around xx.01

What is the current platform capacity at Manchester Airport for handling another south-bound service in addition to the existing Northern all-stops service that starts at Liverpool Lime Street?

Incidentally, what is the forecasted TfW service position on those Llandudno services that run to Manchester Airport?

The Planner

Veteran Member
What is the current platform capacity at Manchester Airport for handling another south-bound service in addition to the existing Northern all-stops service that starts at Liverpool Lime Street?

Incidentally, what is the forecasted TfW service position on those Llandudno services that run to Manchester Airport?
I have no idea, that is for LNWR to look at and for NR to decide if it works, pay me the going consultancy rate and I will have a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.