• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Camping near mountains, in England, in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hi everyone

I'm looking to go camping with a couple of friends in July, preferably near mountains, in England, where hopefully social distancing wouldn't be such an issue when out walking. However we are not part of the same household or support bubble.

If we follow the guidance this rules out car sharing as we don't usually share a car for work or other essential travel purposes.

Although both of my friends drive, neither of them own a car. Whilst they could each hire a car, I don't drive and couldn't get into a hire car with either of them, if following the guidance. This kind of points to train travel although maybe if they are following the guidance they should hire cars and only myself get a train. My friends live in Greater London and myself in Guildford.

We did did look at campsites near Penrith but some were closed or fully booked. Of one that did have space, it was a 2+ hour walk away from Penrith according to Google and the only bus to run there, runs on a Tuesday. I do appreciate bus timetable accuracy in Google Maps can be poor and I didn't check elsewhere yet to confirm it.

Windermere might be another option. Beyond that most of the Lake District doesn't have easy railway access. I was wondering about the peak district. Somewhere like Edale.

Does anyone have any other advice? I've ruled out Wales and Scotland for now as I think there advice might not allow camping at this time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We may of course end up doing nothing. Perhaps now isn't the right time, despite what the government are allowing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Assuming that doesn't remain specifically banned (as it is normally allowed there), how about a wild camping expedition in Dartmoor? "Leave no trace", obviously.

leightonbd

The Lakes will always be one of the most popular places, so look a bit off-piste. I have wanted to go to the Howgills (other side of the M6 from the Lakes) for some time; start your search somewhere like Sedburgh or Kirkby Stephen.

Or (Scotland opens on 15 July) look at the ‘unfashionable areas’ of Scotland. Galloway (only just across the border, has many 2000’ peaks collectively known as the Donalds)?

Karl

On Moderation
Wild camping is always the best. Get yourselves up into the hills and find a remote spot. It's the best. Tidy up before you leave. Enjoy.

Iskra

Established Member
The Lakes will always be one of the most popular places, so look a bit off-piste. I have wanted to go to the Howgills (other side of the M6 from the Lakes) for some time; start your search somewhere like Sedburgh or Kirkby Stephen.

Or (Scotland opens on 15 July) look at the ‘unfashionable areas’ of Scotland. Galloway (only just across the border, has many 2000’ peaks collectively known as the Donalds)?

I used to live up there, I used to use Garsdale as my railhead for Leeds, it's a nice part of the world but a long walk from the S & C.

The easiest access to 'mountains' in England from a railway would be Ribblehead, Clapham (N Yorks) or Horton in Ribblesdale that I can think of. There are quite a few campsites around there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regarding the Lakes I should probably add that the bus service is really very good and can take you to places like Great Langdale, which is brilliant Lakes hillwalking country. Stagecoach is the operator, best check timetables in case they're not the usual ones at the moment.

cactustwirly

Established Member
With the prospect of the travel ban being lifted, have you considered going abroad? Driving to somewhere like the Jura is about the same as the lake district, and the ferry over is normally relatively inexpensive.

Veteran Member
With the prospect of the travel ban being lifted, have you considered going abroad? Driving to somewhere like the Jura is about the same as the lake district, and the ferry over is normally relatively inexpensive.
Nice idea, though the Jura is several hours further away by train or car - offhand I would guess 6-7 hours driving from Calais. I suspect "le tout Paris" will be opting for self-catering of some sort next month which might be another problem.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just to advise that wild camping is generally illegal in England and Wales, unless you have the permission of the landowner.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Many thanks for the replies.

The plan is to travel out prior to the 15 July so that would rule out Scotland.

I used to live up there, I used to use Garsdale as my railhead for Leeds, it's a nice part of the world but a long walk from the S & C.

The easiest access to 'mountains' in England from a railway would be Ribblehead, Clapham (N Yorks) or Horton in Ribblesdale that I can think of. There are quite a few campsites around there.
I've stayed in Malham before and walked via Ribblehead. Beautiful part of the world.

Regarding the Lakes I should probably add that the bus service is really very good and can take you to places like Great Langdale, which is brilliant Lakes hillwalking country. Stagecoach is the operator, best check timetables in case they're not the usual ones at the moment.
I think we might consider araes away from the Lake District if that is likely to be popular.

Nice idea, though the Jura is several hours further away by train or car - offhand I would guess 6-7 hours driving from Calais. I suspect "le tout Paris" will be opting for self-catering of some sort next month which might be another problem.
We haven't considered going aboard but I am separately considering going to Grand Canaria in September. I imagine going to France would be more expensive and the other issue is getting their whilst not car sharing.

Assuming that doesn't remain specifically banned (as it is normally allowed there), how about a wild camping expedition in Dartmoor? "Leave no trace", obviously.
Wild camping is always the best. Get yourselves up into the hills and find a remote spot. It's the best. Tidy up before you leave. Enjoy.
Just to advise that wild camping is generally illegal in England and Wales, unless you have the permission of the landowner.
I did joke about camping in the wild. Was thinking uo a mountain. Would need trees newrby, for toilet facilities. It wasn't a serious consideration.

I think social distancing went out of the window after a certain visit to Co Durham.....
Funny you should say that. According to Clive Bull on LBC, many of people are still citing him in tweets and messages.

I actually want to try and make an effort to social distance. I admit in some shops I haven't done that full but unlike many others I am waring a mask. Alas that only protects others and not me. I digress.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It is, though I noted above the exception, Dartmoor, where it is (normally) explicitly permitted by the landowner (I think the military?)

Though there is the point that if you're doing wild camping right (choose a place well away from anywhere, keep it small, pitch late, strike early, leave no trace) then there's basically no chance of getting caught.

(FWIW, and railway-related, I've wild camped in the woods near Altnabreac before it was legal in Scotland - there was nobody there to give a monkey's! :) )

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not everywhere in Dartmoor but wild camping is normally permitted in certain places within the Dartmoor National Park if you can carry everything you need in your backpack and it's part of a walking expedition, in which case you can then backpack camp for one or two nights in some areas of Dartmoor's open moorland, well away from roads or settlements, using a ‘no impact’ approach.

The situation in Scotland is indeed different but the OP was, of course, asking about camping in England, where usually there's not quite so many midges! ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

gives detail on wild camping on Dartmoor, though it's presently not permitted because otherwise it'd be swamped.

Must admit the small areas on the map surprised me, I thought it was only the main bit.

Might also want to bear in mind when the Army do shooting practice there!

Map:
Info leaflet: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Dartmoor_Walks_Rides_Booklet_Web_Version.pdf

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've started looking at some campsites but they are either starting to be fully booked or are not opening due to COVID-19.

I guess the desire to get away walking in mountains whilst being not so popular but accessible from a railway station isn't so easy. After all if its got a railway station, the area is likely to be popular already or not surrounded by lots of mountains.

infobleep

Veteran Member

gives detail on wild camping on Dartmoor, though it's presently not permitted because otherwise it'd be swamped.

Must admit the small areas on the map surprised me, I thought it was only the main bit.

Might also want to bear in mind when the Army do shooting practice there!

Map:
Info leaflet: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Dartmoor_Walks_Rides_Booklet_Web_Version.pdf
I went onto the Dartmoore map but could find nothing that said wild camping wasn't allowed.

The lower part is near Ivybridge, which has a railway station.

Following what I'm now calling pillar2gate, I've decided with friends not to go and camp in any camp sites with others as maybe I'll add to the problem of too many people during a pandemic.

On a related but lrobably not required note, is travelling for 30 minutes by bus, whilst wearing a face mask a good idea? Not everyone who boards might wear one, even if they should. Ths bus in question was in the lakes.

Essan

Genuine Wild camping - by hillwalkers and backpackers, setting up late,leaving early, and leaving no trace - is usually tolerated above the "field line", especially in places like the Lake District and Snowdonia - though the only place in England and Wales you have a legal right to wild camp is Dartmoor - as noted above - and I think it should be okay from this weekend, certainly from mid month. Though may be quite busy. And not exactly mountainous.

However, wild camping in Scotland looks likely to be okay from mid July, and there you can camp more or less where you like (subject to responsible actions, like not leaving litter or having an open fire!)

A lot of official campsites are not yet opening due to issues over social distancing and shared facilities.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It is allowed in the areas shown on the map. However it is not allowed until Saturday because you are not allowed to stay away from home! That was what I meant.
Genuine Wild camping - by hillwalkers and backpackers, setting up late,leaving early, and leaving no trace - is usually tolerated above the "field line", especially in places like the Lake District and Snowdonia - though the only place in England and Wales you have a legal right to wild camp is Dartmoor - as noted above - and I think it should be okay from this weekend, certainly from mid month. Though may be quite busy. And not exactly mountainous.

However, wild camping in Scotland looks likely to be okay from mid July, and there you can camp more or less where you like (subject to responsible actions, like not leaving litter or having an open fire!)

A lot of official campsites are not yet opening due to issues over social distancing and shared facilities.
Alas the problem now is the cost of train tickets
I would travelling with two other people and a return ticket, at over £100 per person, is too much for one persons budget. The cheap advanced purchase tickets either are sold out (to Ivybridge) or not on sale yet (to Penrith).

With a car at you could share the costs but even that costs as in this case it needs to be hired. The reason it isn't hired is that we'd have to car share and that isn't within the guidelines right now.

Essan

Alas the problem now is the cost of train tickets
I would travelling with two other people and a return ticket, at over £100 per person, is too much for one persons budget. The cheap advanced purchase tickets either are sold out (to Ivybridge) or not on sale yet (to Penrith).

That and the fact that you have to wear a mask for the whole journey.

I would normally be planning a few trips to Scotland this year. But I don't drive. So for me it's just not an option, regardless of price. A journey to the Highlands by train, for me, can take up to 11 hours (including connection breaks) If I'm lucky I may just about manage Wales sometime in the autumn ....

alex17595

Campsites may reopen in the middle of July in Wales and there are some really nice areas away from the hordes of tourists. If you don't mind a bit of old industry mixed in with your mountains the Molewyns are great, I must have been 15-20 times and might see 5-10 people all day. Theres even a few old quarry reservoirs which look very inviting (These were built as reservoirs and are not flooded quarry workings)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Campsites may reopen in the middle of July in Wales and there are some really nice areas away from the hordes of tourists. If you don't mind a bit of old industry mixed in with your mountains the Molewyns are great, I must have been 15-20 times and might see 5-10 people all day. Theres even a few old quarry reservoirs which look very inviting (These were built as reservoirs and are not flooded quarry workings)
They have to be accessible by public transport and preferably train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They have to be accessible by public transport and preferably train.

There is an acceptable bus service in Snowdonia. Realistically, other than the Far North or West Highland Lines or the S&C, you aren't going to get *that* remote by train, because settlements tend to spring up around stations.

Talking of the S&C, there's this place, you could do the Three Peaks of Yorkshire. It's a short walk from Horton in Ribblesdale station.

Doesn't have his own website so you'd need to call re opening. Be warned there is a similarly named site that isn't the same site in Sedbergh!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can take the train to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then walk (1.5m) or take the bus to Tanygrisiau. There are also some paths from Roman bridge station

No trains until Sep, but there is a replacement bus service. They are doing preventative work to see if they can prevent the now almost annual closure as the trackbed floats off down the River Conwy and out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.