• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a concessionary bus pass really be canceled without prior warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

175mph

On Moderation
Was in Hull earlier today, I used one of the local buses and a guy gets on who clearly wasn't very happy.

As soon as he was seated, he went into 'rant at anybody will listen' mode. Why?

"I'm in constant chronic back pain, no chance in he'll of me ever again being able to drive, how does that mean I'm not entitled to my bus pass?! So anyways, I get on the bus yesterday afternoon, go do the shopping and my bus pass won't work. Driver said it's been 'hotlisted' and I need to speak to the council about it. So I go, and they say they've canceled it because they didn't believe I was eligible anymore and told me they don't have to give any prior notice, as I found they never wrote to me about it. Here's what really took the biscuit though, they cut my pass in half in front of me to prevent any attempted use in the future!" He then proceeded to rant on about the state of this country in general.

Can councils really cancel concessionary bus passes without any prior written warning?

Also, whilst on this subject, what software do councils typically use to administer concessionary bus passes including hotlisting them? Do they each have their own proprietary software for this purpose? I can imagine a Microsoft Excel/Access like application and any bus passes they wish to hotlist, they can just select the appropriate rows, columns etc, right click, properties and select a few checkboxes, drop down menu items etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would suspect it more likely that he had indeed been asked to return the pass, had ignored the letter, then it had been blacklisted to catch him out.

buslad1988

It’ll be hotlisted through software which is ITSO related/compatible (hence why you see term ITSO on many ticket machines etc).

Not sure of the exact technical details but it’ll be run off a centralised system (council controlled I’d imagine) but yes I believe they can withdraw an individuals card at any given time... if you do some research on your local authorities website you can probably find out quite easily.

Same goes with those who misuse or share their cards with family members/friends who aren’t entitled - these can be hotlisted and stopped.

On most bus companies ticketing software you can also search card numbers and track journey dates/times/vehicles etc. which can also be helpful in searching for lost property etc.

Martin2012

I spent some time working in the Concessionary fares team for a local authority. The passes were produced using database software where all the applicants details were input and any supporting documents could be uploaded. I'd imagine it's still the same.

175mph

On Moderation
I spent some time working in the Concessionary fares team for a local authority. The passes were produced using database software where all the applicants details were input and any supporting documents could be uploaded. I'd imagine it's still the same.
Were you ever the one to 'hotlist' any passes?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Can councils really cancel concessionary bus passes without any prior written warning?

Either they will have warned him and he chose to ignore it, or the pass will have expired. There are strict rules around eligibility for disabled passes.

Of course they'll cut it up, stop drivers issuing him a manual ticket to which he's not entitled.

175mph

On Moderation
Either they will have warned him and he chose to ignore it, or the pass will have expired. There are strict rules around eligibility for disabled passes.

Of course they'll cut it up, stop drivers issuing him a manual ticket to which he's not entitled.
Unless there are drivers who know him so well that the knee-jerk reaction is to issue a zero fare ticket as soon they see him board the bus, (I've seen it happen quite a few times with regulars who have passes).

Status
Not open for further replies.