• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

can a minor be fined for no ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaver67

Hi there. I know a lady whose 15yr old has just got a fine for no ticket.

It's the first time he's done it. He was running late and only just had time to jump on the train before the doors closed.

He was watching out for the conductor to explain and pay, but there either wasn't one, or he didn't get down that far on the train.

When he was asked for his ticket at the other end he wasn't given the chance to explain or pay. He just got a fine.

Can they fine a minor?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

It sounds to me like a penalty fare rather than a fine. Only a court can impose a fine, and this takes some time. If imposed on the spot I think it must have been a penalty fare.
Penalty fares are imposed for making a mistake and I am not aware of any exemption for minors.

He should put it down to experience and buy a ticket before travel whenever the facility to buy a ticket is available.

najaB

Veteran Member
If imposed on the spot I think it must have been a penalty fare.
Correct.
Penalty fares are imposed for making a mistake and I am not aware of any exemption for minors.
They are issued for minor transgressions, and I don't recall anything in the rules saying that minors are exempt.
He should put it down to experience and buy a ticket before travel whenever the facility to buy a ticket is available.
This, more than anything. This time it was a penalty fare, in a few years it could be court.

furlong

Established Member
If it was a penalty fare then:

In the case of children, if an authorised collector decides to charge a penalty fare, no payment should normally be taken on the spot. Instead, the authorised collector should tell the child to hand the penalty fare notice to his or her parents or guardian when they return home.

Stigy

Established Member
This was obviously Penalty Fare Notice as has been said already. There's no exemption for minors, although enforcing non-payment would likely fail due to their age. For the sake what I presume is £20 though, it's best to pay this and be done with it as it'll stay on record as not being paid, plus there'll likely be letters to follow which I'm sure parents could do without.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Whilst enforcing non-payment of a penalty fare may be an issue due to the individual being a minor, anyone over the age of ten may still be held liable for any offences in a Criminal Court… its best to avoid this and indeed pay the penalty fare as such has been offered!

miami

Established Member
Do Northern Rail still do their penalty notices? Those aren't penalty fares, nor are they fines, not that it makes any difference in this situation.

What is the exact wording on the "fine"? It's unlikely, but it might be an "unpaid fare notice". Without knowing the journey details (station of boarding, station of departure, toc travelled on), it could be one of a number of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.