• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a Railcard be bought with Rail Travel Vouchers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Can a Railcard be bought with Rail Travel Vouchers? Simple yes or no answer. :)

Thanks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Although not specifically excluded, I would expect the answer to be no, given the bit below I have marked in bold.

This comes from the National Rail website, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/payment_methods.html

National Rail Travel Vouchers

What are National Rail Travel Vouchers?

National Rail Travel Vouchers are issued as compensation under a Train Operating Company’s Passenger's Charter, ex-gratia payments for other compensatory reasons, as goodwill gestures or for marketing purposes.

These are of varying values, usually £1 (green), £5 (blue), £10 (orange) and £20 (yellow). Some train companies also issue their own bespoke vouchers for very specific amounts depending on the circumstances in which they have been awarded.

How can I use them?

They can be exchanged for ticket(s) to travel on National Rail services.

They can be exchanged at station booking offices or through some Telesales – if purchasing through a Telesales Department enough time must be allowed for processing, this can be up to 14 days. (Please check with the specific retailer).

They cannot be exchanged for cash.

Change cannot be given if the cost of the ticket(s) purchased is less than the value of voucher(s) tendered.

Do they have an expiry date?

They are usually valid for one year from the date of issue.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
National Rail Travel Vouchers are issued as compensation under a Train Operating Company’s Passenger's Charter, ex-gratia payments for other compensatory reasons, as goodwill gestures or for marketing purposes....
They cannot be exchanged for cash.

I think this specific part would be applicable, as regards the position of legal tender in part-payment of any item such as a Railcard.

ji459

A few weeks ago I used a £10 voucher in part-payment for my Network Railcard

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
This guidance, released by ATOC, might help answer the OP and similar questions
Travel Vouchers (National Rail)

These are of varying values and are used for compensation under the Passenger's Charter or for marketing purposes.

They are not available for sale and must not be used for customer refunds.

They can be used in (part) payment for all tickets, including Oyster Pay As You Go top up credit.

You must not exchange these vouchers for cash nor must you give change when the value of the ticket(s) purchased is less than the value of voucher(s) tendered.

All vouchers will be endorsed with the name of the Train Company who issued the voucher, the validity of the voucher, voucher number and value.

When redeemed the receiving station/office should stamp the voucher and insert the ticket number.

Travel Vouchers may also be used to pay on-train. The ticket range which the customer can buy on the train may be restricted or subject to a penalty fare, depending on the circumstances, but the Travel Voucher can be used to pay for whatever ticket the customer is being sold on the train. Customers cannot receive any change when the value of the tickets purchased is less than the value of voucher(s) tendered.
Its interesting that they have validity for payments on-board. If you have any, it may be worth carrying them with you on journeys just in case.

calc7

Established Member
...and sadly not against Oyster season tickets.

Any other good ways to get rid of these things? I assume the OP asks is because the preference is to buy tickets on websites that offer cashback or rewards points.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Any other good ways to get rid of these things? I assume the OP asks is because the preference is to buy tickets on websites that offer cashback or rewards points.

Yes, that is correct. The only thing I use RTV's for is Rover/Ranger tickets and, now, Railcards - both of which can't be purchased online (by which I mean through normal ticket retailers, such as East Coast). :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.