• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a West Yorkshire Day Rover be used on all TOCs within West Yorkshire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

I've used them on Northern and East Coast (wasn't sure if I should), but not on First TPE or Grand Central. Advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've used them on Northern and East Coast (wasn't sure if I should), but not on First TPE or Grand Central. Advice appreciated, thanks.

Yes, so long as you don"t go past the county boundaries.

I"ve used them on both TPE and GC (and been checked) with no problems. EC are fine too. I've boarded an EC train in Keighley with a Dayrover and Wakefield-Doncaster ticket with no problems (on a Saturday).

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No. I too have used one on GC and they said nothing, but when I later checked they are not valid on Grand Central. They may accept them, but technically they are not valid.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/prbc4917a9e649fb95db8b12ad320b5f/details.html

I think that may not have been updated. The conditions on the back of the scratch-off Day Rover do not mention any operator exclusions.

I'm not sure where they get their info from but this sites claims they are valid on GC:

http://www.railrover.org/pages/west-yorkshire-day-rover.html

and National Rail contradict themselves by claiming day rovers are valid on GC here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/toc_gc.html

The family version *is* listed as being valid on GC:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr0b6deed87f48669fde49c57ae49c14/details.html

Last edited:

Eeveevolve

TPE you are limited to only Huddersfield - Dewsbury - Leeds. Nothing more due to those being the only three stations TPE calls at within West Yorkshire.

34D

Established Member
Well dont I look a numpty now.

And cross gates (once a day I think). I seem to recall there used to be one that called at Micklefield in a previous timetable (not in the current one).

They are also valid on Cross Country (Leeds to Wakefield W being the only option). A cross country HST used to call at cross gates on a morning too, back in Virgin pre operation princess days.

Agree every TOC that operates between a pair of stations in rail zones 1-5 (ie all West Yorkshire stations).

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And cross gates (once a day I think). I seem to recall there used to be one that called at Micklefield in a previous timetable (not in the current one).

I don't think they've called at Cross Gates for a while - and can't find one in the timetable.

They are also valid on Cross Country (Leeds to Wakefield W being the only option). A cross country HST used to call at cross gates on a morning too, back in Virgin pre operation princess days.

Agree every TOC that operates between a pair of stations in rail zones 1-5 (ie all West Yorkshire stations).

Yes - they're all listed on the NR site for the family version of the ticket.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I don't think they've called at Cross Gates for a while - and can't find one in the timetable.

TPE Service 1P15 (0630 SCA - MIA) calls at Cross Gates at 0744 going towards Leeds.

TPE Service 1E87 (1522 LIV - MBR) calls at Cross Gates at 1718 going towards York.

And yes, the West Yorkshire Day Rover can be used on all TOCs in West Yorkshire including Grand Central, but only for local journeys between stations in West Yorkshire where the particular train stops at.

34D

Established Member
TPE Service 1P15 (0630 SCA - MIA) calls at Cross Gates at 0744 going towards Leeds.

TPE Service 1E87 (1522 LIV - MBR) calls at Cross Gates at 1718 going towards York.

Mr kvwr, do you recall TP calling Micklefield a couple of years ago?

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Cheers, not quite sure how I missed those...

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Mr kvwr, do you recall TP calling Micklefield a couple of years ago?
No, it never has as far as I am aware. The only other odd stations on the North Route that I can think of are Widnes and Irlam (served once daily by 1E63), and Gilberdyke which I think has 2 per day. South Milford and Howden are served by certain trains only in the early morning and evening times only. The other Sunday TPE trains were stopping at Huyton all day for a change, and during the 9 day blockade in October I believe they will be stopping at Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Rochdale vice Northern. Hunts Cross is often used to turn things round during engineering work periods. During the floods at Mirfield in 2007 TPE also served Halifax and Bradford Interchange for a good couple of days. I'm sure assorted other stations have also been used on occasions when the service is disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.