Can an ordinary SNCF ticket be used on a TGV on normal lines

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by theageofthetra, 29 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Got a ticket bought from a machine going from Saverne-Mulhouse via Strasbourg. Can I use one of the TGV's to Colmar from Strasbourg and break the journey there? I am pretty certain this route is not a LGV? Thx

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I don't believe so; TGVs are compulsory-reservation and global-fare. Only place you can use a TGV without reservation and specific ticket is internal to Germany and Switzerland (I think).

3. NicholasNCE

NicholasNCE Member

Absolutely, all TGV services in France are compulsory-reservation except around the Lille area with TER-GV services where a the arrangement is slightly different.
    TER and certain IC services are the only ones left with distance-related pricing in the country.
    It's a real pain on congested lines such as the Marseille-Nice where TGVs are more expensive for the same travel time and often take-up TER slots leaving little choice but to use them.

4. theageofthetra

TGV wasn't required in the end- got the TER. Those coaches used on that line must have the most comfortable ride and seats I have experienced for years. Like sitting on a sofa!

5. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

Loco-hauled Corail stock I take it then? ;)

6. theageofthetra

Loco push-pull. The double benches remind me of a really nice old cinema seat. Easily the best designed and most comfortable coach I have ever been in (preservation world aside-that would be the TEE)

7. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

Ah excellent - I must say that the Corail stock refurbished in the early 90s and barely touched since is also rather comfortable, although some have been upseated and had bolt upright seats put in there, to match the units that cover some of the diagrams they're used on.

Some of the loco push-pull sets that have been upseated have even gone to 2+3 seating :|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.