• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can any ITSO smartcard be used to purchase any ticket in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Maybe not at the moment. Its a journey I have often taken. It is multiple stages. Radyr to Cardiff Central, walk from platform 6/8 to platform 2, Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads, Bristol Temple Meads Airport Bus Stop to Bristol Airport. Currently that is a single ticket.

I do not need to make point with this journey. Many people Radyr->Cardiff Central, Cardiff Central->London (PAD). Again this can be a single ticket, Transport for Wales from Radyr then GWR from Cardiff to London. I could buy this ticket from either company. It would need to be loaded onto one or other card. Can it be done? Does it work?
As previously answered, no.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was wondering if I could use a card either a TFW or GWR to make a journey to Bristol from Radyr. Radyr to Cardiff would be a TFW train Cardiff to Bristol is GWR. Even more complex the bus transfer to the airport. Hopefully it will be sorted out by the time I would want to do it.
Bristol to Radyr tickets are available in e-ticket format, so no need to faff around with loading a ticket onto an ITSO card. The e-ticket can be shown on any device (it could optionally be printed).

FlippyFF

The GTR apps can communicate with the ITSO cards using NFC on iPhone.

Southeastern are now advising that their app can load tickets purchased online onto their Key cards. I was able to use it on my Android phone (Nokia 8) to view the ticket loaded onto my Key "Season pass / Ashford International - London Terminals / valid until 21 Sep 2020". For fun I thought I'd try my Stagecoach Smart card too - it came back as "Unknown ticket / ??? - ??? / Valid until March 2021" which is odd as there are no tickets loaded on it* (stopped using it when Stagecoach decimated my local bus service).

*Just prior to returning to train commuting last month I bought a day ticket at a Southeastern ticket office, not thinking I handed over my ticket wallet showing the Key card in one half and my photocard in the other half but behind my photocard was my Stagecoach Smart. I paid and the clerk advised it was all loaded but when I tried to go through the barrier using my Key it was rejected. The gateline staff checked and said there was nothing loaded and double checked via a TVM. It was only while showing him my receipt that I noticed the card number was not that of my Key but that of the Stagecoach Smart. So we tried the Stagecoach ticket on the barrier but it too was rejected :( . Went back to the ticket office and they confirmed the ticket had been loaded onto the Stagecoach ticket. It took some flaffing on their part having initially said they couldn't cancel it off the Smart but they finally managed to and reselling it again to my Key card.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.