• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone offer advice, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiawoolf

Last night I was caught in first class without a first class ticket. I didn't have enough money on me to pay the difference. The train was a late night one from London Euston to Northampton and I was charging my phone in first class -- the carriage was deserted apart from me. The Revenue Inspector got more stern when I admitted to charging it in there all the way from London to Milton Keynes. It was seconds before I was about to get off on my home stop, and, when asked if I had a ticket, I provided it (a £29 London peak Travelcard), along with my 16-25 Railcard. The Revenue Inspector looked at my railcard/ticket intently for a few seconds and said that he'll look up my details and that I'll receive a letter from them in the next few days.

I was so tired that I didn't deal with the situation proactively -- I could have phoned my parents and asked them to bring over some money, I guess.

What should I do? I thought about calling London Midland, explaining the situation, and offering to pay post-factum. Would this be the best course of action to avoid getting summoned to court?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Did the inspector actually take any details from you? The train operators don't have an accessible database to look up details from railcards, so if you didn't provide your name and address you're in the clear.

If this is the case, you're extremely lucky and I'm sure you won't be doing it again any time soon!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think it's much better to avoid getting into this sort of situation in the first place, instead of worrying about the potential consequences afterwards.

Trentside is right, unless you provided your details I think it's extremely unlikely that the inspector will be able to look you up.

virginiawoolf

Did the inspector actually take any details from you? The train operators don't have an accessible database to look up details from railcards, so if you didn't provide your name and address you're in the clear.

If this is the case, you're extremely lucky and I'm sure you won't be doing it again any time soon!

Of course I won't be. It was uncharacteristic of me to do the above, and having a phone that needs frequent charging is my problem, not theirs.

He could have remembered my full name from my railcard and looked me up using that, no?

trentside

Established Member
No, I don't know of any way for him to have done that. I suspect it was a "scare tactic" as you were about to leave the train.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It may have been said in the hope that it would prompt you to contact the train company and pay the fare you should have paid. Morally, that would be the right thing to do.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was charging my phone in first class -- the carriage was deserted apart from me.

And what has that got to do with anything? At the end of the day if you are in first class you must have a first class ticket - end of. People have been been fined for standing in first class and even standing in first class vestibules so put it down to experience and if you wish to use first class buy or excess up to a first class ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course I won't be. It was uncharacteristic of me to do the above, and having a phone that needs frequent charging is my problem, not theirs.

A slightly unusual piece of advice, but perhaps you might consider a battery pack? They are getting quite cheap these days. Since I have had one (22000mAh ish) I have barely used on train sockets at all. Much more convenient.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And what has that got to do with anything? At the end of the day if you are in first class you must have a first class ticket - end of. People have been been fined for standing in first class and even standing in first class vestibules so put it down to experience and if you wish to use first class buy or excess up to a first class ticket.

And do it before boarding on Penalty Fares TOCs - there is no scope to "pay the difference" - it would, assuming prosecution was not considered, be a Penalty Fare at twice the First Class Anytime Day Single fare from Euston to Northampton, which would be nearly a hundred quid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.