• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone shed any light on this photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
This photo has been brought to my attention. It's of real interest to me because this is precisely where my house now stands (so I'm told). It's the former Tarmac depot in Fordingbridge, Hampshire. For the benefit of those using screen readers, it shows what I believe to be many carriages of brand new bogie-less 1995 or 1996 stock sitting atop wooden blocks, in a large yard.

Was new LU stock ever stored in Fordingbridge, or is someone having me on?IMG_20210608_171048.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Quick google for
Code:
Fordingbridge tube stock
reveals this:
Alstom produced these trains at the staggering rate of nearly two per week, although this should be put into context by noting that the bodyshells were imported ready-build from a Spanish manufacturer. However, it took much longer than half a week per train to commission them, ...

Accordingly, a great many of the new trains were delivered to Ruislip from Washwood Heath, Birmingham (by rail via Didcot and Greenford), acceptance tests were carried out and then they were sent off to be stored out of the way at places like MOD Kineton in Warwickshire, and Fordingbridge in Hampshire.

and a reference in the LURS "Underground News" magazine index (PDF) at
Fordingbridge: stored 1995 Tube Stock car bodies

adc82140

Established Member
Blimey. So I have had tube stock in my garden. That line of trees is still there, as seen here from my back window. IMG_20210608_173120.jpg

Mikey C

Established Member
Interesting that the bodies were delivered fully painted, indeed externally complete other than the roundels

Status
Not open for further replies.