• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can "conventional" trains run on the SNCF high speed lines network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

Really? So I had to go find some videos...

High speed freight train MVGV 200:

And then there are some very nice cab rides but not on the LGV, for example:

Aren‘t these the trains that convey(ed) fruit and veg in wagons that SNCF said were life expired and they wouldn’t replace so they’d have to be withdrawn that caused a lot of controversy recently?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Aren‘t these the trains that convey(ed) fruit and veg in wagons that SNCF said were life expired and they wouldn’t replace so they’d have to be withdrawn that caused a lot of controversy recently?

I thought it was some kind of parcel transport - MVGV standing for Messagerie à Grande Vitesse

Jamesrob637

Established Member
yes thats what im meaning
im asking wasnt that what did parcel traffic not the MVGV sets?

Yellow TGV "La Poste" sets were built for that
Now withdrawn
One even visited St Pancras a few years ago but whether under its own power I'm unsure.

SHD

Messagerie is indeed translated as “parcel service” or “small shipment” but in a French railway context it refers to a train category, notably regarding braking characteristics. Messagerie (ME or MV) trains are shorter, have lower axle loads, and the major difference with marchandises (MA) trains is that they operate under braking rules similar to (loco-hauled) passenger trains. Messagerie trains operate up to speed limits of 160 km/h (MV160) (*) while the fastest Marchandises trains are limited to 100 km/h (MA100).

Messagerie trains are most of the time composed of piggyback flatcars (“caisses mobiles” or containers), but can also be composed of car-carrying wagons, refrigerated wagons (as alluded to above), etc.

(*) MVGV trains were discontinued in the early 2010s for several reasons (the cost of maintaining a small fleet of TVM-equipped locomotives and 200 km/h-capable wagons was too high and the overall time saving on the Valenton-south of France journey brought by the use of the LGV was not that high)

Last edited:

Peter Kelford

I'm really not sure. I thought La Poste used TGV sets though and thus could do 270km/h or possibly even 300.
I'm really not sure. I thought La Poste used TGV sets though and thus could do 270km/h or possibly even 300.
270km/h TGVPs that pretty much only worked PSE. They are now retired.

MVGV appears to be Messagerie but I do think that SHD is correct on noting that express freight runs under the ME category.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Stand at a station on the "Magistrale" (the conventional line from Paris to Dijon) of an evening, even on weekends but especially during the week, and the amount of freight will blow your mind.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yellow TGV "La Poste" sets were built for that
Now withdrawn
One even visited St Pancras a few years ago but whether under its own power I'm unsure.

Dragged by a Eurotunnel diesel loco, as I recall. (actual issue was the set's TVM-430 not being coded for HS1)

SHD

MVGV appears to be Messagerie but I do think that SHD is correct on noting that express freight runs under the ME category.

The picture below shows the interface and visualization panel of the KVB protection system of a locomotive, note the selector for the braking regime characteristics: VO(yageurs) / ME(ssageries) / MA(rchandises)

AE208E54-164C-469E-B5B5-AC2D8ED9B14A.jpeg

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Couldn't remember if La Poste used 270 or 300km/h passed sets

SHD

La Poste trainsets were never upgraded to 300 km/h (although their TVM system was upgraded from TVM300 to TVM430).

Status
Not open for further replies.