• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can FCC assess everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth43

I have recently been told that FCC have 4000 people who applied for the trainee train driving positions on their systems.
They all have applications on hold whilst they wait for assessments to become available, Is it possible for them to actually assess everyone who has made it through the short listings selection process or does it seem that it will be pot luck to get selected for an assessment date?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I have recently been told that FCC have 4000 people who applied for the trainee train driving positions on there systems.
They all have there applications on hold whilst they wait for assessments to become available, Is it possible for them to actually assess everyone who has made it through the short listings selection process or does it seem that it will be pot luck to get selected for an assessment date?

I sincerely hope that people who don't know the difference between "their" and "there" do not make it through the shortlisting process!

Recruitment for any job is subject to Equal Opportunities legislation. I am sure that an organisation as large as First will be very sure that they comply with this. Applications will be marked against established criteria, and of those that meet the minimum criteria, the ones that score highest will be progressed.

Gareth43

I sincerely hope that people who don't know the difference between "their" and "there" do not make it through the shortlisting process!

Yes thank you for pointing out that typo, I do however know what a possessive adjective is.

The reason I asked was because it did not seem possible for the TOC to assess every one given the number of assessment dates available this year.

Thank you.

reapz

I have been told by a manager that its a case of pot luck and they take xx ammounts of put through , not every app is read 100%

Gareth43

Yes this is what I am concerned about, my brother works for First and he also said the same thing. It seems getting short-listed is not enough and by no means a guarantee that one would get an assessment, and the fact that so many applicants are on hold makes it even more unlikely to get through.

I guess all I can do is wait and see if I get invited.

Class377/5

Established Member
I have recently been told that FCC have 4000 people who applied for the trainee train driving positions on their systems.
They all have there applications on hold whilst they wait for assessments to become available, Is it possible for them to actually assess everyone who has made it through the short listings selection process or does it seem that it will be pot luck to get selected for an assessment date?

All applications go to First recruitment not FCC. Your only passed onto FCC if you get an assessment/interview day. So to answer your question, no FCC doesn't assess you, First do. Then you go through to FCC.

Even internal people like myself still have to go through First recruitment.

As for the job number, wouldn't be surprised. Recent position the same to mine was advertised. Just one job got 180 replies. Recently FCC looked or over 100 drivers due in part to the Thameslink Project, part you can guess. So if just 100 people applied of that positions they'd have 10,000 on the list with say a pass rate of 40% to get to your figure!

AndyBoo

first great western introduced greater standards for the driving schools they held this year.

I went to an assessment and was told I wouldn't be considered for an interview as I didnt pass the dots. They introduced a grading system. Excellent pass, good pass, pass and border line pass. Unlucky for me I had excellent and good passes for all but the dots. Only got border line pass. So was told I was better applying for other companies.

They managed to get all of their driver to achieve high grades on their assessments. First great western also had a great number of people assessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.