• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I / Should I visit the Isle of Wight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
The OP wants to travel from a Tier 2 area, not a Tier 3 area.

They are allowed to do so, not just in law, but also the Guidance has nothing against it either.

If they were asking about travelling from a Tier 3 area, then the Guidance advises against it (though it would not be illegal)

So the answer is yes it is within the law and within the guidance to visit.

To be honest I’d be tempted to do it, whether from tier 2 or 3.

Could we find a situation where the ferries check addresses and refuse to carry people, though? As they’re a private business and address isn’t a protected characteristic, I presume there’s nothing to prevent them doing that.

adc82140

Established Member
The council can say what they like, it's of no consequence to the OP or anyone else.
I'm stood on the IOW right now. I booked a pub lunch before I went, giving my mainland land-line as the contact (it diverts calls if I'm not there). Not even an eyebrow raised. The ferries don't care who you are.

Established Member
Could we find a situation where the ferries check addresses and refuse to carry people, though?
Not if they want to remain in business. There are a number of reasons why someone with a mainland address could be travelling (for work or caring responsibilities for example.)

BJames

Established Member
I'm stood on the IOW right now. I booked a pub lunch before I went, giving my mainland land-line as the contact (it diverts calls if I'm not there). Not even an eyebrow raised. The ferries don't care who you are.
Good for you, enjoy your trip! But pretty much as suspected anyway, nobody is interested in where you're from.

As others have said, it is within the law (and if from tier 2, even within the guidance) to do this. So while not everyone may agree, there is a clear position, and the OP is entitled to make the same trip that @adc82140 has done today, should they wish to still do so.

adc82140

Established Member
Good for you, enjoy your trip! But pretty much as suspected anyway, nobody is interested in where you're from.

As others have said, it is within the law (and if from tier 2, even within the guidance) to do this. So while not everyone may agree, there is a clear position, and the OP is entitled to make the same trip that @adc82140 has done today, should they wish to still do so.
Fingers crossed for a 483 this afternoon! Aiming for the 13:49 from Pier Head.

Gloster

Established Member
The County Press has as its top article, “Police working to ensure Island visitors respect tier system”. As might be expected with the County Press at any time, but particularly on a Saturday, it reads more like a press release and doesn’t tell the reader much. However, the readers’ comments may have the effect of deterring anyone who is thinking of visiting (on the basis of, “I don’t want to go near this lot.”)

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Perhaps the words 'can' and 'may' should be used, they have different meanings

I was just thinking of a walk into the country, bus home, but I wondered if the bus driver might refuse to take me. Best not to travel for a while, enjoy being at home, the destinations shall still be there later
I've done that several times within my tier 3 area (including crossing Local Authority boundaries into County Durham/Sunderland), and enjoyed some great walks. Never had any problems. You may have an issue if you walk into a tier 2 area, but even then it's vanishingly unlikely that a bus driver would refuse to take you.

Chris125

Established Member
I hope if the severity of the situation wasn't clear before, it is now - this is not the time for unnecessary travel, especially in the South East.

adc82140

Established Member
The County Press has as its top article, “Police working to ensure Island visitors respect tier system”. As might be expected with the County Press at any time, but particularly on a Saturday, it reads more like a press release and doesn’t tell the reader much. However, the readers’ comments may have the effect of deterring anyone who is thinking of visiting (on the basis of, “I don’t want to go near this lot.”)
Readers comments in local rags and reality are very different beasts.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope if the severity of the situation wasn't clear before, it is now - this is not the time for unnecessary travel, especially in the South East.
People are entitled to travel within the relevant law/guidelines and no-one has the right to make people feel guilty for sticking to the guidelines.

Edit: Since this thread was locked, we have seen the addition of a new Tier 4. For clarity I will add that if you live in a Tier 4 area you are forbidden from leaving that area except for an exempted reason. So if the original poster is in area that has now been re-classified as Tier 4 they would not be allowed to make this journey.

If you live in a Tier 3 area you are allowed to travel to a Tier 1/2 area but it is advised against. People have their own opinions on what should or shouldn't be allowed, but people have to make their own choices and there is nothing further to be debated that hasn't been said before. T

The guidance is changing regularly. People should check the current laws and guidance before making any journey and make their own choice based on their own circumstances and the guidance in place at that specific time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.