• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I still get a Greater Manchester area - DaySaver TM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
As far as I know you can. I'm off to Piccadilly for work in the morning, and the TVMs let you buy this ticket so I'll check tomorrow morning.

Mathew S

Established Member
Yes, they're still available. Any ticket office in the TfGM area will sell you one, but they're not usually available from the machines (with a few exceptions).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've bought them from non-Manchester ticket offices for quite a few years now, so they are available everywhere. Sometimes takes some searching by the staff on their systems though (I think because the title of the product doesn't include the word "Manchester").

_toommm_

Established Member
Still available at Piccadilly on the machines Virgin operate if you don't want a bog roll ticket - called GM Daysaver TM/TB/TMB (Train, Metrolink, Bus etc.):

20190420_195148.jpg

Llandudno

Established Member
Can you buy these or GM Wayfarer tickets at Northern ticket machines in places like Strines for System One or Chapel/New Mills for Wayfarer?

Seems a bit daft if you can’t as most local journeys originate from outside Manchester City Centre!

VT 390

Established Member
Still available at Piccadilly on the machines Virgin operate if you don't want a bog roll ticket - called GM Daysaver TM/TB/TMB (Train, Metrolink, Bus etc.):

View attachment 61823

Will the Virgin ticket machines at Stockport sell them as well as this is where I will be starting the day?

_toommm_

Established Member
Can you buy these or GM Wayfarer tickets at Northern ticket machines in places like Strines for System One or Chapel/New Mills for Wayfarer?

Seems a bit daft if you can’t as most local journeys originate from outside Manchester City Centre!

Unfortunately not. Northern don't sell rangers at their TVMs. It'll be a case of bog roll on board or buy it at your destination if the guard is a no show..

dutchflyer

Established Member
Since several years its all SystemOne there.
These daytickets come in various combinations of 1/2/3 modes, being bus/tram/train. The leaflets proclaim they should also be able to buy from any busdriver in the scheme, but I assume most will only be used to the bus-only and much cheaper variation. Decide yourself what other mode and thus what price suits you best.

Mathew S

Established Member
Unfortunately not. Northern don't sell rangers at their TVMs. It'll be a case of bog roll on board or buy it at your destination if the guard is a no show..
I'm told, though I haven't actually tried it, that the updated TVMs that will do smartcard tickets will also issue Rangers and Rovers. If I remember, I'll try the one at Manchester Victoria on Monday and see if it will cooperate.

Llandudno

Established Member
I'm told, though I haven't actually tried it, that the updated TVMs that will do smartcard tickets will also issue Rangers and Rovers. If I remember, I'll try the one at Manchester Victoria on Monday and see if it will cooperate.
Look forward to your feedback on this one, can you check for TfGM Wayfarers as well?

Seems a bit like Russian Roulette whether you can actually buy the valid ticket you want from these machines - once again not the customers fault!

Mathew S

Established Member
Okay, so, I've been for a play on the Northern TVMs at Manchester Victoria this morning and can confirm that I was not able to get them to issue a DaySaver (of any type), nor any of the PTE season tickets (Traincards or Countycards). However, both the updated (ITSO enabled) and non-updated machines were happy to issue TfGM Wayfarers, a variety of Ranger/Rover tickets (Dales Rambler & Settle and Carlisle were the two I spotted), and combined train/met tickets to the new met fare zones.

_toommm_

Established Member
Okay, so, I've been for a play on the Northern TVMs at Manchester Victoria this morning and can confirm that I was not able to get them to issue a DaySaver (of any type), nor any of the PTE season tickets (Traincards or Countycards). However, both the updated (ITSO enabled) and non-updated machines were happy to issue TfGM Wayfarers, a variety of Ranger/Rover tickets (Dales Rambler & Settle and Carlisle were the two I spotted), and combined train/met tickets to the new met fare zones.

Just out of curiosity, where was that on the machine? I've seen one of the TVM's at Vic has updated, so I might have a look tomorrow when I go. Also, does i sell the 4-in-8 and 3-in-7 rovers too?

Mathew S

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, where was that on the machine?
Search by destination, the name of the ticket (e.g. Wayfarer) comes up as a destination.
Also, does i sell the 4-in-8 and 3-in-7 rovers too?
I didn't see any, but I only had 5 mins and I was mostly looking for the day tickets. Be interested to see if you can find them, though. A big part of the battle seemed to me to be knowing exactly what you needed to search for to find the ticket you want. It's not an especially user-friendly interface!

Llandudno

Established Member
Great research- thanks!

More smoke and mirrors to prevent normal punters discovering better value tickets!

AY1975

Established Member
I seem to recall that GM Wayfarers (and train/bus/tram, train/tram and tram/bus DaySavers) can also be bought from the ticket machines at tram stops (as can tram-only day tickets). Obviously that's only of any use if you live or are staying near a tram stop, though.

_toommm_

Established Member
I seem to recall that GM Wayfarers (and train/bus/tram, train/tram and tram/bus DaySavers) can also be bought from the ticket machines at tram stops (as can tram-only day tickets). Obviously that's only of any use if you live or are staying near a tram stop, though.

They can indeed.

Can the Daysaver TM be purchased the day before or can it only be purchased on the day?

I'll be wanting to start my journey at Blackrod so no ticket office and no guarantee that the TVM has the option for a Daysaver TM.

Rail Ranger

Metrolink ticket vending machines do not sell GM Wayfarer tickets.

Rail Ranger

Can the Daysaver TM be purchased the day before or can it only be purchased on the day?

I'll be wanting to start my journey at Blackrod so no ticket office and no guarantee that the TVM has the option for a Daysaver TM.

You should be able to purchase the ticket from any booking office the day before. The ticket is shown on www.brfares.com if you look under "Rovers and Rangers".
The code is H022 GM DAYSAVER TM.

plugwash

Established Member
Also worth noting the that bus+train+metrolink is only 70p more than the train+metrolink and can be bought from bus drivers.

Also worth noting the that bus+train+metrolink is only 70p more than the train+metrolink and can be bought from bus drivers.
Thanks that's worth considering - may get a strange look from the driver when I get off as soon as buying it though ;)

Llandudno

Established Member
In all likelihood the bus driver will have no idea what ticket you are asking for!

Best take a screenshot (or better still an old fashioned leaflet) to show the driver what ticket you want.

plugwash

Established Member
I don't recall having any trouble buying system 1 day tickets on the bus, though it's a while since I've bought one.

Ask for a system 1 bus train and tram ticket and you ahould be fine.

One downside of buying on the bus though is I suspect you will have to get mamually let through any automatic rail barriers.

VT 390

Established Member
One downside of buying on the bus though is I suspect you will have to get mamually let through any automatic rail barriers.
When I had one I got from a Railway Station it still did not work some barriers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.