• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I use an anytime return more than once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
How would someone who used a WH smith A6 folder with their tickets/railcard/bus tickets/nNetwork/Money/bank card/loyalty cards etc be able to get their ticket out without having the contents going all over the shop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How would someone who used a WH smith A6 folder with their tickets/railcard/bus tickets/nNetwork/Money/bank card/loyalty cards etc be able to get their ticket out without having the contents going all over the shop?
I don't understand the question, but it's the passengers responsibility to be able to produce their ticket for inspection. Is there a circumstance in which you envisage this could not reasonably be fulfilled?

Tracky

HE wouldnt, but he wouldnt put his ticket in such a stupid place again (after chasing his paperwork around the station platform) would he?

Prodigy

Wow 32 replies on a simple question :P. Thanks for the info guys I'll stick within the laws :).

Flamingo

Established Member
I stamp, firmly, the outward part of any SOR I sell as it comes out of the Avantix...

Most passengers faces are a picture as as I hand it to them. When I am on the same job the following day I go to them first and they buy a day return off me... I recomend a season but they never take the suggestion.

I thought that the SOR's coming off the Avantex on-board only have that days date on them as valid for the outward journey? I'm sure I have looked at that before.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was reading on the site that I bought anytime return tickets for between Mossley and SOT that the tickets allow you to use the ticket from where your journey starts on and up to 5 days after the date shown on the ticket and return to the station using the same ticket upto a month after the date shown on the ticket.

With that in mind I was wondering what are the rules on making the outward journey twice so one on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, is there any rules against using it on more than one of the days?

that would be fraud i think!

You get one journey, out and back. I am sure no one ever uses a non clipped ticket more than once :o

island

Veteran Member
I thought that the SOR's coming off the Avantex on-board only have that days date on them as valid for the outward journey? I'm sure I have looked at that before.

I would have thought they would have validity FIVE DAYS on them, and one issued today would be valid frmo 08-SEP-11 to 12-SEP-11. Some part-time booking offices at country shacks are run off Avantix Mobiles so it would be rather odd for them to sell SORs with different terms than a normal booking office.

Why don't you just issue one and non-issue it straight away next time you're on duty? :)

Mintona

Established Member

Nah they come out as normal tickets with 5 day validity, although I sell very few of them.

On my TOC we are only given hole punchers.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nah they come out as normal tickets with 5 day validity, although I sell very few of them.

On my TOC we are only given hole punchers.

Although to be fair, I've had some quite cool shaped holes punched through my tickets from TMs on your TOC! :P

John @ home

Established Member
I thought that the SOR's coming off the Avantex on-board only have that days date on them as valid for the outward journey?
SORs must display Five Days validity for the outward portion because that is the advertised validity on the "definitive" site.
National Rail Enquiries

Anytime Tickets

For Anytime Return tickets, the outward journey must be made within 5 days, and including, of the date shown on your ticket and return journeys must be made within one calendar month.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/anytime.html
It is perfectly valid to buy an Anytime Return London - Swansea on the train on day 1, break the journey at Reading, and travel Reading - Swansea on day 5 using the outward portion of this ticket.

jetice

Why do so many ticket checking staff just use a pen to mark a ticket these days rather than a proper date stamping punch? Is it some kind of economy measure by the TOC's ?
Surely if a proper time/place/date stamp were used to mark the ticket then bona fide passengers using the ticket correctly would not have any problems.

We have to initial them with pen...clippers environmentally unfriendly plus cause probs if done on the black strip for gateline purposes. we are not issued with date stamping punch.

island

Veteran Member
And you can get clippers that retain the punched-out bit in a little holder for emptying into a bin. I have such an item.

extendedpaul

Just curious about this. No intention of doing anything dishonest !

I occasionally use a period return ticket from Kent to London. On the return journey I put it through the ticket barrier at Victoria but my local station is always open when I get back.

If that ticket were unmarked would it be accepted by the barrier gate again or are they able to recognise and reject a previously used ticket ?

John @ home

Established Member
It has been reported on this forum that the last use of a ticket through an automatic barrier is encoded on the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.