• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can London Overground refund tickets purchased from their machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class303

Hi,

I was making a day trip to Stevenage yesterday from London. BZ3 to Stevenage with a gold card.

I used a London Overground ticket machine to buy the ticket. Cheapest ticket that was offered was the £10.25 off-peak day return, which I stupidly purchased, not remembering it was a Saturday. So being Saturday I should have been offered the super off peak day return for £7 but it wasn't an option.

I went to the ticket office and they refused to refund my ticket, and even said it would be £10 to amend the ticket. I thought this was a bit harsh considering it was their ticket machine's fault for not listing the full range of tickets. They were quite rude and said some waffle about not being a full ticket office as it's now London Overground.

They handed me a complaint form and told me to send my tickets off as there was "nothing they could do". Is this really necessary for a £10 fare? Complete lack of customer service. I was foolish for purchasing it but again should have been offered the cheapest fare. So I had to purchase a super off peak return from the office as I was sending the £10.25 ticket back.

Is this really how bad things are that it's such a big deal to refund a £10 ticket where London Underground were, in my opinion, at fault?

It's not a great deal of money but more the principle. grrr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dlj83

For a London Overground ticket office I'm not surprised, at Haggerston I once asked for a Boundary Zone Three to Southend ticket and was told "This is Haggerston. You need to buy your ticket at Boundary Zone Three" the list goes on but basically the knowledge of people who work in those ticket offices is incredibly poor.

najaB

Veteran Member
I went to the ticket office and they refused to refund my ticket, and even said it would be £10 to amend the ticket. I thought this was a bit harsh considering it was their ticket machine's fault for not listing the full range of tickets.
'Letter of the law' they were correct - what you wanted was a voluntary refund, which does attract a fee no more than £10. It's not great from a customer service point of view, but it's entirely possible that they weren't able to provide a fee-free refund with the systems they use.

hounddog

Of course they 'can' refund. They 'can' do anything they like. Whether they choose to do so or whether their systems make it easy for them is another matter altogether.

najaB

Veteran Member
They are perfectly capable of doing it.
Not necessarily. They are able to give the customer back the money paid in return for the ticket held - that isn't in doubt. But that isn't the same thing as actually refunding the ticket.

If you want to get all pedantic. <D

RJ

Established Member
Of course they 'can' refund. They 'can' do anything they like. Whether they choose to do so or whether their systems make it easy for them is another matter altogether.

Or perhaps company policy precludes it. That is the case where I am - the full refund procedure is invoked if someone buys a ticket from the machine then changes their mind. Simply handing out money from the till will result in a loss for the company if they don't get 100% revenue from the fare.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
Or perhaps company policy precludes it. That is the case where I am - the full refund procedure is invoked if someone buys a ticket from the machine then changes their mind. Simply handing out money from the till will result in a loss for the company if they don't get 100% revenue from the fare.

We non-issue within 20 minutes. I never realised how generous that was!

RJ

Established Member
We non-issue within 20 minutes. I never realised how generous that was!

Our non issue out of shift function is more restrictive than London Midland's. We can non issue within 20 minutes if the tickets were bought at a window at the same station, but anything else will have to go through as a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.