• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can rail staff travel in first class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
I work for TFL & I was told while travelling to work using Avanti West Coast Or NorthWestern Rail I can sit in first class instead of standard by a member of staff at my local station. Normally standard is fine & I do always sit in standard but there have been occasions where I have sat in first class with no problem except for two occasions. The first one the Trains Manager asked for my ticket for first class, I told him I was told I could sit in first class by another member of staff, he said no & asked me to move to standard but changed his tune after I sat down when he noticed my uniform under my coat. He then said I could sit in first class as I work for a TOC & I could go back & sit down, frankly I was embarrassed & said well you’ve kicked me out & I’m her now so it’s fine. Today I sat in first class, the other carriages were full & to protect myself as a key worker I sat in first class where there was just myself & another customer, when asked for my ticket (I was sitting in my uniform jumper with the logo clearly visible) I said to the Train Manager I was told by a member of your staff we could sit in first class, she rudely replied “who told you that?” I said a member of station staff & train staff, she said well for today it’s fine but in future sit in standard.

I’m not bothered about being removed from first class or only travelling in standard cause I don’t always travel in first but I hate that I’m getting mixed information. Can anyone clarify if TOC staff can sit in first class on national rail trains IF in uniform? I want to point out I have seen other national rail workers (that work for other NR companies), arriva rail workers & LU workers sitting in first class with no problem but I always seem to have a problem. I just want correct information.

Thank you.....
I assume as you work for TfL you don’t have staff passes or PRIV rate tickets? Either way it’s standard class only generally as others have said. At the TOCs I’ve worked at, the only staff entitled to first class travel are senior managers (at all times) or other managers (at weekends). This will be evident on the passes though and clearly marked as such.

If you’re TfL staff travelling in first class and are caught, you could be reported under railway Byelaws as you’re committing an offence the same as any other member of the public (unless staff give you permission which you be fair, you’ve had, even if it is a bit wishy washy). You won’t be in breach of your company’s policy necessarily as you don’t have Staff passes to abuse on national rail services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
On LNR off-peak it's basically a messroom in my observation as a passenger.

They can keep it, Standard is more comfortable on the 350/1 and /3 :)

It’s important to show due respect for paying passengers, many of whom are likely to be trying to work.

When I’m sitting in first I keep myself to myself. Having loud conversations etc. and treating the place as a rolling messroom is a tad unprofessional in my view.

6Gman

Established Member
Thanks to all of you for your advice but I think I’ll just politely decline in future, if it’s going to be a problem because the previous TM offered the upgrade but the next didn’t. I was only sitting in first so I could sit in a non packed car

The wisest course of action I suspect.

I have only ever once taken up the offer of First. VTWC on the WCML. TM did a ticket inspection, saw our PT boxes (correctly completed) and said "Why don't you travel up front?" It was a very quiet Sunday train and we took up the invitation. (I also had a witness to the offer having been made.)

I would never ask a TM for permission before travel and I would certainly never plonk myself in First Class and then ask.

6Gman

Established Member
On LNR off-peak it's basically a messroom in my observation as a passenger.

They can keep it, Standard is more comfortable on the 350/1 and /3 :)

I have to say that I find the inclination of staff in uniform to plonk themselves in the limited First Class on Desiros irritating. No skin off my nose but not sure it sets the right example.

Stigy

Established Member
I have to say that I find the inclination of staff in uniform to plonk themselves in the limited First Class on Desiros irritating. No skin off my nose but not sure it sets the right example.
Agreed. On any train to be honest. If you’re in First and have been allowed to travel in there, the least you should do is to be professional about it. I’d never travel first during the peak when fare paying passengers are standing in standard class either. Not least because you never know who’s also travelling in there. Same as taking up any seat when there’s people standing, as it’s common curtesy and in the T&Cs of the Railstaff Travel perks.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I personally feel it's a professional discourtesy to sit anywhere that I do not have a valid ticket for. I wouldnt ask the guard as that puts them in a uneviable position and would only sit in first class with an unprompted invite.

Lewlew

I assume as you work for TfL you don’t have staff passes or PRIV rate tickets? Either way it’s standard class only generally as others have said. At the TOCs I’ve worked at, the only staff entitled to first class travel are senior managers (at all times) or other managers (at weekends). This will be evident on the passes though and clearly marked as such.
TfL staff get free travel between Euston and Watford Junction. Most of us then have a priv rated annual season ticket beyond Watford

Status
Not open for further replies.