• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone explain bus route licensing to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I only ask because Thurmaston Bus of leicester went bust as you know.

I go onto the VOSA website and their Licenses still exist for some of their route despite the company not existing anymore....

does this mean a route could be revived by someone claiming the license or does it have to be one of the people who applied for it?

this is the license for route 78 even though it doesn't say that it went to and from Eyres monsell

Weird eh?

This only remains valid so long as the company's registration is also valid.

MCW

This only remains valid so long as the company's registration is also valid.

right I got ya.

just really weird considering Thurmaston Bus's and Coachmaster's (Leics) licenses are still valid considering both companies don't legally exist anymore, lol

Deerfold

Veteran Member
right I got ya.

just really weird considering Thurmaston Bus's and Coachmaster's (Leics) licenses are still valid considering both companies don't legally exist anymore, lol

Ideally VOSA would note on them they're no longer valid but in practice they don't need to if the operator does not exist or loses its operating license.

To run a route you need to have an operator's license - to get this you need to have at least one person with various qualifications and be able to show you're unlikely to go bust easily - and then you need to register the route (usually 8 weeks before it is to start running - this requirement can be relaxed and often is if it is to replace services of an operator tha tdid go bust).

Both are required to run the route.

MCW

Ideally VOSA would note on them they're no longer valid but in practice they don't need to if the operator does not exist or loses its operating license.

To run a route you need to have an operator's license - to get this you need to have at least one person with various qualifications and be able to show you're unlikely to go bust easily - and then you need to register the route (usually 8 weeks before it is to start running - this requirement can be relaxed and often is if it is to replace services of an operator tha tdid go bust).

Both are required to run the route.

Thanks,

yes, it is interesting. I love buses and companies and the way they work more and more so I did wonder how it worked when i looked on the VOSA site. thought it would be easier to ask here, I am not dumb but not the most intelligent man to walk the earth either so a nice down to earth explanation is greatly appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.