• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone help me out here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
I'm trying to remember something regarding the Falkirk Main line in the late 90's.

A relative of mines had saved someone's life at Motherwell station in the late 90s (between '96 and '98) and those of us (in our family) who were present got a few rewards from ScotRail at the time - one of which was free travel one one of five lines, and I was given the choice. I picked the Falkirk Main line.

It was my first time in Queen Street, and certainly my first time traveling on a Diesel (I was unaware of this at the time). This was around '98 or '99. The train was Regional Railways liveried, so I'm assuming that rules out it being a 170. Unfortunately, the livery is the only detail I can remember, but I do recall being impressed by the train when looking at her from the platform.

Can anyone tell me what class of DMU was incharge of Queen Street - Waverley around '98/'99?

I wish I was as into railways as I am now so I might've been able to remember the number of the train!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bittern

Established Member
Another wee thing about this trip. Somewhere along the way we passed what I recall being an HST (or an 'InterCity to a young me!). Can anyone confirm that HSTs were or were not operating on some part of this line in the late 90s?

Also, did ScotRail 156s have 'Regional Railways' on them or was it just 'ScotRail'?

Remembering this trip makes me remember the magical days of being a kid travelling on a new railway. Might have to look into getting me a 00 RR 158 now.

caliwag

Suspect that the HST would have been the Highland Chieftain to/from Inverness.

Bittern

Established Member
I suppose it's possible. It was northbound, however, and this was mid-morning - early afternoon.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Another wee thing about this trip. Somewhere along the way we passed what I recall being an HST (or an 'InterCity to a young me!). Can anyone confirm that HSTs were or were not operating on some part of this line in the late 90s?

Also, did ScotRail 156s have 'Regional Railways' on them or was it just 'ScotRail'?

Remembering this trip makes me remember the magical days of being a kid travelling on a new railway. Might have to look into getting me a 00 RR 158 now.

156s didn't carry Regional Railways lettering; they had "Super Sprinter" insignia alongside the running man motif when delivered, except 156401-42 which just had "Sprinter" and the logo. By 1998/99 the Scotrail units had lost this branding and had small "SCOTRAIL" lettering in the light blue stripe alongside a small Scotrail swoosh (Applied in 1994/5).

I have a Bachmann Regional Railways 158. It's well good :)

Bittern

Established Member
Ah. So the 158 I got would've had the ScotRail lettering and the swoosh.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah. So the 158 I got would've had the ScotRail lettering and the swoosh.

The 158s were different again. Ummm...if I remember correctly the 158s had small, black "SCOTRAIL" lettering in the same font as the "Regional Railways" lettering that was applied to later 158s underneath the stripes, and no swoosh. Might be wrong on that one mind.

Was it 158s you were referring to in the initial branding query?

rail-britain

Established Member
That is correct, the 158s had the SCOTRAIL logo towards the gangway end of the vehicle
The later 158s did not have the EXPRESS logo towards the cab end, hence why they used REGIONAL RAILWAYS, ScotRail decided to update theirs to match this

sprinterguy

Established Member
That is correct, the 158s had the SCOTRAIL logo towards the gangway end of the vehicle
The later 158s did not have the EXPRESS logo towards the cab end, hence why they used REGIONAL RAILWAYS, ScotRail decided to update theirs to match this

Yeah I thought as much. The Scotrail units were delivered from new with the "EXPRESS" branding like all the earlier 158s, which was changed to the smaller "Scotrail" lettering later on, cheers for confirming that for me.

rail-britain

Established Member
156s didn't carry Regional Railways lettering; they had "Super Sprinter" insignia alongside the running man motif when delivered, except 156401-42 which just had "Sprinter" and the logo
Yes and Dapol made an error on this when launching their Class 156 model in N gauge
156418 has "SuperSprinter" logos, incorrectly
Otherwise I would have bought one
However, renumbering the model is easy enough

Status
Not open for further replies.