• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone tell me a specific by law:

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed990

I had made a similar thread a couple weeks ago, basically I am making the only connection available to me, however my first train is likely to be late, causing me to miss the last train of the day. A taxi home is the only option in this case.

Staff may be unhelpful or refuse, so I need to find the by law that states a train company must provide alternative transport, so I can keep it handy. I know there is one because I saw it on a website but forgot to save it.

So if someone could copy and paste the full relevant by law, or give me a link to a site or page that shows it, I'd appreciate the help, cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
National Rail Conditions of Travel, Condition 28:

28. What happens when things go wrong?
28.1 If disruption prevents you from completing the journey shown on your Ticket, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary provide overnight accommodation for you.
28.2 In other circumstances disruption to train services may mean that you are entitled to compensation or a refund on your Ticket. The next section explains your rights to refunds and compensation.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It isn't a law in itself. It's in the National Rail Conditions of Travel.

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Global/nrcoc.pdf

28.1 If disruption prevents you from completing the journey shown on your Ticket, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary provide overnight accommodation for you.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
However please note that there is no "must" about it - they carefully include "where it reasonably can".

highspeed990

Thanks everyone, so are they legally obligated to or is this just a company policy, and they definitely reasonably can as the local taxi service regularly travels to my stop and towns around it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks everyone, so are they legally obligated to or is this just a company policy, and they definitely reasonably can as the local taxi service regularly travels to my stop and towns around it.

There is no strict definition of "reasonably". Yes, they are legally obliged to obey this document because the NRCoT is a contractual document that outlines your rights and responsibilities when you purchase a ticket.

Note that if, for some mad reason, they're totally unable to source a bus/taxi whatever, they are absolutely obliged to put you up overnight somewhere.

highspeed990

There is no strict definition of "reasonably". Yes, they are legally obliged to obey this document because the NRCoT is a contractual document that outlines your rights and responsibilities when you purchase a ticket.

Note that if, for some mad reason, they're totally unable to source a bus/taxi whatever, they are absolutely obliged to put you up overnight somewhere.
Oh I see, well I'm guessing it won't be that simple for them to wriggle out of providing a short taxi trip. Also who exactly does this contract to apply to? Does it apply to any member of station staff or the help point? So basically can I demand a taxi from any staff or help point according to this contract, or only the rail staff of the specific companies involved?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Oh I see, well I'm guessing it won't be that simple for them to wriggle out of providing a short taxi trip. Also who exactly does this contract to apply to? Does it apply to any member of station staff or the help point? So basically can I demand a taxi from any staff or help point according to this contract, or only the rail staff of the specific companies involved?

The contract is between you and the company, not individual members of staff.

You should approach staff first of all, or if there are none available, go to the help point.

highspeed990

The contract is between you and the company, not individual members of staff.

You should approach staff first of all, or if there are none available, go to the help point.
But the companies I will be using do not operate the station so I won't be able to find their staff. The only option is, as you said, a help point or station staff, but surely national rail all operate together so they would be obligated to pay for a taxi, then claim that money from the toc.

Darandio

Established Member
Talk of demanding a taxi in this thread and talk of potentially ignorant staff in your other concurrent thread. Why?

It does sound as if you are planning to be intentionally difficult because of these 'rights'. Although it shouldn't, difficulty can also work both ways, give them a chance to resolve the situation should it arise.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I'd read "where it reasonably can" as including the overnight accommodation. If there are no more hotels, they won't be able to do a lot (bar I suppose let you stay on the station). They had issues at Preston when bad weather took everything out (and precluded replacement bus services) a while ago, people kipped in the waiting room and offices.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
But the companies I will be using do not operate the station so I won't be able to find their staff. The only option is, as you said, a help point or station staff, but surely national rail all operate together so they would be obligated to pay for a taxi, then claim that money from the toc.

You do not need to speak to the company responsible; that is not your concern. Read the quote i posted earlier, the insertion of "any" train company is deliberate on the part of the NRCoT.

You simply need to speak to station staff on arrival, or if there are none, a help point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Note that if VTWC are involved you may have to push the point and quote this. I have had "nothing to do with us" from them before and had to argue (and got a taxi paid for by them following said argument).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'd read "where it reasonably can" as including the overnight accommodation. If there are no more hotels, they won't be able to do a lot (bar I suppose let you stay on the station). They had issues at Preston when bad weather took everything out (and precluded replacement bus services) a while ago, people kipped in the waiting room and offices.

Yes, I meant to say something along these lines - poorly worded post from me. Force majeure and all that.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If there is disruption don’t expect a taxi quickly.

I was caught up in a 4 hour delay in arriving at Paddington a few months back, meaning I missed the last train from Kings Cross to Stevenage. No argument about getting a taxi but there were over 100 other people in a similar situation. It was a couple of hours before all the taxis were dispatched.

highspeed990

Talk of demanding a taxi in this thread and talk of potentially ignorant staff in your other concurrent thread. Why?

It does sound as if you are planning to be intentionally difficult because of these 'rights'. Although it shouldn't, difficulty can also work both ways, give them a chance to resolve the situation should it arise.
I knew someone would say this eventually and I understand why as it does appear this way since I have made 2 discussions related to this and it looks like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. The reason I like to plan ahead and have plenty of information about situations like this, is it has happened with airlines in the past, so I'm always cautious about travelling.

I love trains but don't usually make long distance journeys and have never caught a last train, so I'm just trying to make sure of everything.

When I say demand, I don't mean turn up swearing, I meant making it clear that I need a taxi, and if they refuse by being ignorant, which is another word you pointed out, I will demand the conditions of carriage be complied with in a respectful manner.

I only made this second thread after realising my service is usually delayed by checking the national rail app, and I posted in my old thread but that appears to have died down.

Take what bletchleyite posted, staff could just simply being ignorant, abd you always see on the news about rail passengers being treated badly so I'm always cautious to make sure no problem arises on my journeys.

highspeed990

Oh I see, so station staff count as 'any' company? Obviously the individual staff aten't responsible but they will need to provide a taxi on behalf of the company.

Darandio

Established Member
Indeed, there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

But as you acknowledge, it did slightly read as though you'd be charging around the station with a printout demanding a taxi whilst shouting your rights! :lol:

highspeed990

If there is disruption don’t expect a taxi quickly.

I was caught up in a 4 hour delay in arriving at Paddington a few months back, meaning I missed the last train from Kings Cross to Stevenage. No argument about getting a taxi but there were over 100 other people in a similar situation. It was a couple of hours before all the taxis were dispatched.
I doubt this will be an issue at Peterborough.

horizonflame

From following XC's twitter feed when last connections are missed they openly tell passengers to ask local station staff to contact the XC control room to authorise taxis. If XC, who have no station based staff, can get it right for passengers all the TOCs should be able too!

highspeed990

Indeed, there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

But as you acknowledge, it did slightly read as though you'd be charging around the station with a printout demanding a taxi whilst shouting your rights! :lol:
It reads that way to me too so I knew someone would eventually mention it :D. In reality I wouldn't be able to do much at the time as it's a civil matter. If I dodge a fare I am breaking the law and they can call the police. If they cause me to miss the last train, they can refuse and I'll have to make my own way there then take them to court after, as it's a contract and not law.

highspeed990

From following XC's twitter feed when last connections are missed they openly tell passengers to ask local station staff to contact the XC control room to authorise taxis. If XC, who have no station based staff, can get it right for passengers all the TOCs should be able too!
Hopefully, and if the taxi gets there late I would be entitled to compensation but I wouldn't know which company to contact as it is a taxi, and they all have different policies and delay repay systems and so many loopholes that I might not bother.

robbeech

Established Member
It can go wrong, and TOCs can pas the blame along and refuse to have anything to do with it despite them being in the wrong, but this is very rare. They are normally helpful and whilst the outcome might not be perfect but you'll get where you need to go safely.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It can go wrong, and TOCs can pas the blame along and refuse to have anything to do with it despite them being in the wrong, but this is very rare. They are normally helpful and whilst the outcome might not be perfect but you'll get where you need to go safely.

Agreed. Having worked in a Control room I can testify to a TOC providing a taxi from Glasgow to Oban, some 100 miles by road. And this was not from Scotrail, this was organised and paid for by the delaying TOC.

There's often a dedicated Customer Support (or similarly titled) Controller for these requests, and if it's the dead of night the Duty Controller may assume the responsibility.

Established Member

You cannot demand a taxi. They could for example provide a bus or overnight accommodation instead. Also bear in mind that they only have to get you to the destination station and not home.

Status
Not open for further replies.