• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone tell me a specific by law:

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
Bear the last statement in mind if you’ve got a ticket that you plan to stop short on (maybe it’s financially rewarding) as depending on the attitude might depend on whether the taxi takes you home, or your local Station or the destination Station on the ticket which might not be helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
Bear the last statement in mind if you’ve got a ticket that you plan to stop short on (maybe it’s financially rewarding) as depending on the attitude might depend on whether the taxi takes you home, or your local Station or the destination Station on the ticket which might not be helpful.

Interesting. Are you saying that if, for example, a passenger holding a London to Glasgow ticket intends breaking their journey overnight at Bolton before travelling on to and finishing short at Lockerbie the next day then, if the train into Piccadilly is delayed, 'the railway' might insist that the taxi takes them to Glasgow rather than Bolton ?

The taxi driver will certainly have no interest in the ticket, if any, held. They will merely take you to wherever the contracting TOC tells them to (or possibly somewhere nearby, if asked nicely ;))

LowLevel

Established Member
You're over thinking it. It's very unusual for there to be an issue with the railway providing a taxi for a stranded passenger when the issue is the fault of the railway (and I don't mean that it's necessarily the railway's fault the train is delayed, just that the stranding is caused by a valid connection failed due to a delay) and if there is it's usually down to the passenger not being able to find someone to help for whatever reason rather than the person they do find saying 'bugger off'. Only once have I know anyone I've been involved with be properly stranded and that was when a party decided to travel to Scotland during one of the nasty storms a year or two ago, despite my advice that it wouldn't work out, and ended up with quite a few other people having to sit at Preston station all night as there weren't enough hotels and the road transport people weren't interested in potentially risking their lives either.

You need to treat the people you encounter as I would hope you would treat anyone else you need help from - approach them, politely tell them you're stuck and they'll sort it. Start waving paper at them and "demanding" and they might decide having their cup of tea and a meal break is more of a priority than phoning you a cab. You might even find them being nice about where the cab goes instead of dumping you at a railway station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The taxi driver will certainly have no interest in the ticket, if any, held. They will merely take you to wherever the contracting TOC tells them to (or possibly somewhere nearby, if asked nicely ;))

While it's more common than it used to be, in my experience revenue protection gets largely forgotten when it comes to rail replacement (and, TBH, I think that is no bad thing when it's emergency rail replacement and the railway's fault - you're not getting the train you paid for, so it's a bit rich checking if you paid for it or not). If you say you're going to Bolton, that's where you'll end up in a taxi going to. They odds on won't even look at your ticket.

highspeed990

You cannot demand a taxi. They could for example provide a bus or overnight accommodation instead. Also bear in mind that they only have to get you to the destination station and not home.
A this time of night a taxi is the only option, but otherwise as long as they got me home, they could take me in a stagecoach for all I care. Also now that I think about it, I'll probably be driving to the station so it'll be better for them to drop me at the station.

And don't worry guys I'm not going to be charging about demanding and shouting, I meant calmly demand only if staff weren't co operating, I don't get angry at staff were no reason, it's not their fault.

I saw on the Paddington 24/7 channel 5 passengers screaming at staff for delays, when it's not their fault, silly really.

district

They odds on won't even look at your ticket.
We always ensure that some sort of valid ticket is held before authorising a taxi. Quite often we get people demanding taxis when trains are cancelled only to find they do not have any sort of ticket at all.

I would strongly advise you to be courteous and polite in the first instance to staff and don't quote the NRCOT unless you run into a problem. I think it's highly unlikely you will have an issue getting onward travel if there's a problem (read: not necessarily a taxi and if it is a taxi expect to share with others going to the same station). We authorise taxis locally at the station on a regular basis, and while individual TOC policy may be different with who can authorise a taxi station staff will be used to dealing with and organising this.

highspeed990

We always ensure that some sort of valid ticket is held before authorising a taxi. Quite often we get people demanding taxis when trains are cancelled only to find they do not have any sort of ticket at all.

I would strongly advise you to be courteous and polite in the first instance to staff and don't quote the NRCOT unless you run into a problem. I think it's highly unlikely you will have an issue getting onward travel if there's a problem (read: not necessarily a taxi and if it is a taxi expect to share with others going to the same station). We authorise taxis locally at the station on a regular basis, and while individual TOC policy may be different with who can authorise a taxi station staff will be used to dealing with and organising this.
Yeah that's fine I don't mind.

I think because I've talked about it so much people think I'm going to be rude and expect to be provided a limo:lol: I only need to get to my destination.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
How long is reasonable to wait for a Taxi to be provided? I gave up waiting at midnight at Crewe after 30 minutes and got my own from the rank. If the VT refuse my claim, the delay repay will cover the cost anyway.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How long is reasonable to wait for a Taxi to be provided? I gave up waiting at midnight at Crewe after 30 minutes and got my own from the rank. If the VT refuse my claim, the delay repay will cover the cost anyway.

At Paddington a couple of months back I had to wait almost 2 hours.....

highspeed990

I'll stop going on about it now guys, the journey was a success! Train initially cancelled at Nottingham, but a new one starting at Nottingham was provided(Now I now why the live departure on the national rail app shows half the trains starting at Nottingham instead of Liverpool, half of them get cancelled and replaced with a new service). But East Midlands Trains handled it quite well. The staff also were very friendly and helpful and told me not to worry if a delay caused me to miss my last connecting train, as they have to get me to my destination. The train actually arrived at Peterborough 4 minutes early and the Greater Anglia service departed 4 minutes late, giving me plenty of time to connect(First time I'm happy about a delay!). Weirdly Greater Anglia sent a class 153 instead of a 170, I don't think they've done that before. All in all, I was very lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.