• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can they ask you to walk the remaining distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I am reminded of a case where a forum member was suspected by some members of walking from Newbury to Newbury Racecourse, the implication being that had they done so (undetectable to the TOC) they would have reduced the company's delay repay liabilities. In this case, the request was worded sufficiently vaguely to leave doubt as to whether the passenger did wait for the train or walked. Either way, in that case, I'd argue Delay Repay should be based on when the train would have arrived, regardless of whether or not the passenger chose to walk the last segment of the journey.
Incidentally, I put a Delay Repay in for a journey from to Newbury Racecourse last year because my first leg of the journey (Ewell West to Guildford) had been cancelled and I travelled independently to Dorking Deepdene (via taxi), missed the connection at Reading to NRC, so got another taxi from Newbury to the Racecourse. I arrived at the Racecourse only 30-35 minutes or so late (can't remember the exact details) and claimed accordingly, showing which trains I caught instead and what my arrival time actually was (the Racecourse and the eponymous station are, for those who don't know, practically on top of each other) expecting the payment to be based on that, so only getting the 30-minute claim or even only the 15-minute claim (with SWR). They actually recalculated my application based on what I would have done if I'd have waited for the train at Ewell West and caught the trains along the route properly, so actually got the full refund of being an excess of 2-hour delay. (It was a work-related journey as well, so the company paid for the ticket and the two taxis, and allowed me to put the delay repay claim in for myself as well, so was a bit of a win on my part! Probably couldn't say the same about the horses...!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not National Rail, but a few years I was told by TfL customer services that I should fill in Charter refund claims for delays based on the journey I intended to make, even if I ended up going to a different place due to disruption, an they did pay out on it. I'm not sure whether that was the actual official policy at the time though

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
a few years I was told by TfL customer services that I should fill in Charter refund claims for delays based on the journey I intended to make, even if I ended up going to a different place due to disruption

That's my experience too, where disruption has meant I bailed out a stop early and walked the rest of the way- most recently a breakdown on the Bakerloo at Piccadilly Circus when I was heading for Charing Cross.

Tom B

Established Member
I know 1 operator that would reject delay repay based on the fact you abandoned your journey and would encourage you to source a refund from your point of purchase. I know that the same operator as a retailer would then turn around and reject a refund request as you used the ticket if only partially and as such you should claim delay repay. This is from a real world example.

The operator (or indeed any operator) should organise alternative transport but you’d have to accept the additional delay in sourcing it. Part of the trouble here is that if it were a busy time (late Friday or Saturday night) there might be difficulty in sourcing a taxi that would be willing to transport a passenger somewhere that an able bodied person could walk in 10 to 15 minutes as the fare wouldn’t be worth it. They likely wouldn’t question whether the passenger was able to walk it and wouldn’t even entertain questioning whether they’re willing to walk it.

Black cabs are obliged to accept any fare within a prescribed distance, presumably in an effort to avoid such problems.

(Although, in a similar vain to TOC staff, that doesn't help if the individual is insistent and nobody else is around).

Tom B

Established Member
Not National Rail, but a few years I was told by TfL customer services that I should fill in Charter refund claims for delays based on the journey I intended to make, even if I ended up going to a different place due to disruption, an they did pay out on it. I'm not sure whether that was the actual official policy at the time though

This certainly did used to be the case - if I knew my primary route to be suspended or severely delayed, I could take another route. I'd still be late, but not as late and without the hassle of major overcrowding etc.

The policy seemed to change around the FFTF programme (as the scheme needed to change to facilitate the desire to cut staff), I subsequently had refunds rejected on the basis of having deviated from the planned route.

dyst

Tickets are to "Worcester Stations" I think the vast majority of people would be OK with it, but if someone really had to be at the other station and had reduced mobility then I think the TOC would be obliged to make alternative ravel arrangements (unless there was a later train).

They either give you a taxi, or ask you to wait for the next train.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
[QUOTE="yorkie, post: 4268182] For Stoke to Longton, there should be no expectation that any passenger would want to walk it. Yes some might and that is their prerogative.[/QUOTE]

it was Longport rather than Longton. The passengers at which are always overlooked with any distraction. You can walk Stoke-Longport, but it’s not a nice walk at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.